How to remove undefined, placeholder pages

Olivia Schütt June 7, 2021

How can I remove undefined placeholder pages? 

undefined pages.JPG

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 8, 2021

Edit the pages which the undefined pages are mentioned on, and remove or correct their link to the undefined page.  (i.e. work through the right hand column in your list)

The "undefined pages" label for these does not explain what they really are.  They're not pages, they are "pages that do not exist, but are linked to by other pages".  It's a common thing to do in a wiki - write a page, putting in links to other pages that don't exist as a reminder to create the targets later.  But many humans get the names wrong, and a lot of us forget to go back over and create new linked pages (or forget to ask other people to add the pages)

Olivia Schütt June 9, 2021

thx, Atlassian could remove them by reindexing the space, it seems these pages were just sticking around. 

Otherwise, I would have to try your solution but happy to not edit 300 pages one by one. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2021

Eh?  That's nonsense.  The whole point of these undefined pages is that there is nothing there to delete, they're not pages, they're pointers to pages that are not there. 

There's no removing them, other than by deleting the actual pointers you've got in the pages that are pointing at things that aren't there.

If Atlassian have "removed them", they've done it by deleting the links from your content, not by indexing (although, the list is being drawn from the index, and if you've actually removed the links from the pages and something went wrong with the post-edit indexing, then re-indexing would remove them from the list.  But you've still had to edit the pages with the links, and you really need to look at why the indexing is failing)

Olivia Schütt June 9, 2021

Yes, I did actually remove the pages and the links were not removed correctly. The reindex solved this. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 9, 2021

Hmm, I'd be worried about why the standard indexing is not working.  That sort of behaviour is something that I've always ended up investigating and finding a broken installation.  But, it's Cloud, something that Atlassian would need to investigate.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events