How to refer to the data on chart table on another confluence page

Will Wang February 8, 2019

I want to auto populate the first row of column "Percentage" on confluence page A with the value(task completion percentage 97.4%) on the chart table on confluence page B, how can this be achieved ? If not, any workaround, e.g. calculate the percentage in the table on page B and refer it on page A?  Can the field on one confluence page refer to another field/value on another confluence page ?

Page A

URL: https://confluence.example.com/A

Table on page A

Date

Name

Percentage

Page B

URL: https://confluence.example.com/B

Below is the chart created from table on page B

Capture.PNG

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Aleksandr Zuevich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2019

Hi Will,

Yes, the field on one confluence page can refer to another field/value on another confluence page. You can do it with help of Excerpt and Excerpt Include standard Confluence macros. 

Will Wang February 10, 2019

Thanks, Aleksandr, can Excerpt and Excerpt Include achieve dynamic update ?

Namely when the field on page A changes, the file on page B will also changes automatically when I refresh page B ? Any example ?

Aleksandr Zuevich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2019

Will,

If you update table cell on the source page the excerpt include macro will show new value on the destination page. But it is not dynamic content, it's static. Otherwise if you need to include dynamically calculated content you can find and use some plugin like https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1212655/celestecs-math-for-confluence. It is allowed to refer table values on another page.

Will Wang February 11, 2019

Hi Aleksandr,

Thanks, I did a simple testing(change value from a to b in the excerpt macro on source page and then refresh the destination page, the value changes), the solution works. 

But got another issue that could not embed the value on the chart into excerpt macro, any way to achieve this ? 

Aleksandr Zuevich
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 11, 2019

Hi Will,

If you put Chart macro inside Excerpt macro you can refer to the whole chart on the destination page.

Will Wang February 11, 2019

Alternatively, if could embed the value on pivot table into excerpt macro is also fine as I can insert one pivot table into the page as workaround.

Will Wang February 12, 2019

Hi Aleksandr,

Any sample for below or knowledge link  ? I tried but only can input some text info on the excerpt macro, not sure how to put chart macro into excerpt macro.  in fact, only want to put completion percentage(currently it is 97.8%, but may changes when more tasks is finished) into excerpt marco 

If you put Chart macro inside Excerpt macro you can refer to the whole chart on the destination page.

Aleksandr Zuevich
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 12, 2019

Will, take a look into the next picture. I just place Chart macro inside Excerpt:

Capture.PNG

Will Wang February 12, 2019

Hi Aleksandr,

I used the chart from table&pivot table which was generated based on one table on the same page, have tried, can embed chart into excerpt but can't embed "chart from table" into excerpt.  Below is the pivot table generated, any way to embed value(97.8%) of developer displayed on"chart from table" or "pivot table" into excerpt ?

pivot table.PNG

Aleksandr Zuevich
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 13, 2019

Will,

Could you please show us your "table&pivot" table? It seems that it's not standard macro but you're using some plugin for that. 

Andrey Khaneev _StiltSoft_
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 13, 2019

Looks like this is Table Filter and Charts app.

Will Wang February 13, 2019

Hi Aleksandr,

Kindly refer to first capture for pivot table&chart from table button on confluence page, refer to second capture for the source data(sample data only, but is very similar to our actual data) and related pivot table&chart from table.

pivot table_chart from table button.PNGPivot table_Chart from table data.PNG

Hi Andrey,

Yes, this is related to chart from table/pivot table, but the problem is how do we get the data on the pivot table/chart from table ?

Do you mean to calculate the percentage in source table and use table filter to filter out this percentage ? But after doing so, we still need to get the percentage from table filter, any way to do this ?

Aleksandr Zuevich
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 13, 2019

Hi Will,

As I see Pivot table and Chart are dynamic content, which is generated in VIEW mode. So you don't have possibility to refer them at other page.

@Andrey Khaneev _StiltSoft_, it looks like a good feature request - to add possibility to refer table values on another page, not just table inside macro body as it is now. (like it done in https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1212655/celestecs-math-for-confluence)

Hi Aleksandr,

Thanks anyway, let me try to insert Jquery/Javascript into excerpt to see if it may work.

Andrey Khaneev _StiltSoft_
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 14, 2019

Hi Will,

Yes, you can use Excerpt Include macro to place the Pivot Table macro on another page and filter it, so there will be a table with only two cells: "Sum of weight" and "97.8%".

I've added a feature request to reference / show a value from a certain cell in another place to Table Filter and Charts app backlog. I'll post here when it will be available.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events