How to protect logon credentials from sniffing

I just completed a tcpdump session to find out, how confluence protects credentials (user, password).

I was somewhat shocked, everything is plain text. Which possibilties exist to use confluence outside of he intranet in a professional (safe) way.

Avoid the https hazzle would be great.

2 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Well, it would be, thats how forms based auth does, its open to sniffing. However, the days of 'one cable' lan are long gone, an attacker would need to have access to core network infrastructure to do the same, especially true on internal networks.

If you want secure transport layer you need to use SSL, the middle ground may be to adopt a 3rd party single sign on authenticator...

SSL doco is @ https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Running+JIRA+over+SSL+or+HTTPS

This widget could not be displayed.

Josef,

There are no alternatives to "plaintext" transmission of user names and passwords, if you are using plain HTTP. Think about it for a second - even if you are encoding passwords in the browser somehow (if this is what you propose), then the encoded value becomes a "plaintext" password accepted by the server. As long as one can sniff your traffic, and you are not re-implementing HTTPS in some way, one can impersonate you.

Agree, should also add, the days of a single cable have gone, but wifi is the new weakness, every wifi hotspot is a potential attack point _if_ you are not using ssl...

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

385 views 3 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you