How to promote Global templates?

Matt Richards March 12, 2018

I have a Global Template that I would like to Promote across all Spaces. I am unable to Promote it in the Space Settings. 

This document from Atlassian states:

"Global templates: These page templates are available in every space on your site. If you have Confluence Administrator permission, you can create, edit, and promote global templates via the Confluence administration console. To go to the global templates page, go to Settings in the Confluence sidebar, then choose Global Templates and Blueprints."

Despite this, I cannot figure out how to do so, as no function to Promote is displayed. 

If this is not possible (which would be a big oversight), is it possible to export a Global Template and import it into each individual Space, such that it can be Promoted site-by-site? 

3 answers

1 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 12, 2018

Hi Matt,

It does seem to be an oversight. I couldn't promote Global templates in spaces on my test instance, either. There is also no export/import option for the global templates I made.

The functionality has been requested: As an admin I want to promote global templates on a per-space basis and Export of templates created in one space to other 

I also created a ticket for the documentation, as it is inaccurate as you pointed out:

Documentation mistakenly states Global page templates can be promoted in spaces

To communicate directly with the development team responsible for implementing features, please comment/vote on the tickets. For now it looks like the templates have to be added space by space.

Thanks,

Ann

Matt Richards March 12, 2018

Thanks for your response @AnnWorley. That's a bummer. Seems pretty fundamental. 

Like Peter Resele likes this
RICK TROIANI February 11, 2019

Wow, that is a bummer and don't see the reason why.

Like # people like this
Kathy Hart
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 14, 2019

I am fairly certain that the ability to promote a Global template within a space existed when I first started using Confluence. I think this is something that disappeared during an update at some point. 

Peter Resele June 24, 2019

It just cost me two hours of fruitless searching and trying. Thanks so much Matt for filing this thread, otherwise I would have lost even more time.

I'd say it makes the feature unusable and is a severe bug.

General feedback to your team: Tons of features (much more than Sharepoint), but much, much harder to learn and use. I'm spending already a lot of time in your documentation AND Google just to get us up and running. Some things really seem to be intended for nerds only (I've already spent most of my life in IT, but got really bored in tinkering with things that should just work.)

Like # people like this
4 votes
Janet Dixon December 9, 2022

Found this thread after getting frustrated that I couldn't promote a global template. Why would you give the ability to promote a SPACE template and NOT a GLOBAL template.  If I have a template I want ALL spaces to use, I don't want to have to maintain that template in all spaces just to be able to promote it.  This should be an easy add.

3 votes
Eric Boyce March 3, 2020

You still can't promote templates sitewide or in specific spaces. With the change to the new editor, we've started updating templates, and there is no way to make them the preferred options for users. The documentation is still wrong. https://confluence.atlassian.com/confcloud/blueprints-and-user-created-templates-724764985.html

Ryan Mahuron March 26, 2020

I just spent a decent amount of time trying to figure this out as well. Frustrating that we still cannot promote global templates. Seems like a no brainer.

Ingrid Lucardie June 26, 2020

I agree. This issue is there since a long time and would safe us a lot of time. 

Jean-Christophe Gonzales December 24, 2020

...and unfortunatly no way to get this featured implemented on the server version with the end of life "starting" end of feb.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events