It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to promote Global templates?

I have a Global Template that I would like to Promote across all Spaces. I am unable to Promote it in the Space Settings. 

This document from Atlassian states:

"Global templates: These page templates are available in every space on your site. If you have Confluence Administrator permission, you can create, edit, and promote global templates via the Confluence administration console. To go to the global templates page, go to Settings in the Confluence sidebar, then choose Global Templates and Blueprints."

Despite this, I cannot figure out how to do so, as no function to Promote is displayed. 

If this is not possible (which would be a big oversight), is it possible to export a Global Template and import it into each individual Space, such that it can be Promoted site-by-site? 

2 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
AnnWorley Atlassian Team Mar 12, 2018

Hi Matt,

It does seem to be an oversight. I couldn't promote Global templates in spaces on my test instance, either. There is also no export/import option for the global templates I made.

The functionality has been requested: As an admin I want to promote global templates on a per-space basis and Export of templates created in one space to other 

I also created a ticket for the documentation, as it is inaccurate as you pointed out:

Documentation mistakenly states Global page templates can be promoted in spaces

To communicate directly with the development team responsible for implementing features, please comment/vote on the tickets. For now it looks like the templates have to be added space by space.

Thanks,

Ann

Thanks for your response @AnnWorley. That's a bummer. Seems pretty fundamental. 

Like Peter Resele likes this

Wow, that is a bummer and don't see the reason why.

Like # people like this
Kathy Hart Community Leader Jun 14, 2019

I am fairly certain that the ability to promote a Global template within a space existed when I first started using Confluence. I think this is something that disappeared during an update at some point. 

It just cost me two hours of fruitless searching and trying. Thanks so much Matt for filing this thread, otherwise I would have lost even more time.

I'd say it makes the feature unusable and is a severe bug.

General feedback to your team: Tons of features (much more than Sharepoint), but much, much harder to learn and use. I'm spending already a lot of time in your documentation AND Google just to get us up and running. Some things really seem to be intended for nerds only (I've already spent most of my life in IT, but got really bored in tinkering with things that should just work.)

Like # people like this

You still can't promote templates sitewide or in specific spaces. With the change to the new editor, we've started updating templates, and there is no way to make them the preferred options for users. The documentation is still wrong. https://confluence.atlassian.com/confcloud/blueprints-and-user-created-templates-724764985.html

I just spent a decent amount of time trying to figure this out as well. Frustrating that we still cannot promote global templates. Seems like a no brainer.

I agree. This issue is there since a long time and would safe us a lot of time. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Confluence

Lessons and Learnings: Six Months of Working Remote [Discussion]

Hey there, folks! For most of us, the past six months- yes, you read that right- have been a journey. More people than ever before have pivoted to working remotely, and navigating being on-scre...

8,196 views 6 6
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you