cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
  • Community
  • Products
  • Confluence
  • Questions
  • How to prevent notification going to every Confluence user in my company when I edit a document? I am the admin for confluence in my company.

How to prevent notification going to every Confluence user in my company when I edit a document? I am the admin for confluence in my company.

Suneel Kaw January 22, 2016

Every time I modify a document or add a document, notification goes to every confluence member in my company.

Is there a way to stop this spamming?

5 answers

7 votes
Milo Test
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2016

To add to Steven, since it appears that you are using cloud, deselect Notify watchers at the bottom of the page when in edit mode, and it will stay that way, not notifying anyone.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2016

Sorry Milo, I think YOU'RE right. I converted your comment to an Answer. My suggestion is too heavy handed for a simple situation like this.

The reason they are notified is because someone is editing the page and selecting Notify Users, and they are watching the page or space. Whoever is editing the page should be mindful of their notifications. If they don't want to be watching the page, then they can remove their watch or a page editor can remove it for them.

Like Tony Russell likes this
jim mason January 23, 2020

Thanks for your answer on Confluence Cloud.

My problem is I have a space and don't want ANY pages watched as the admin. Unfortunately most of the pages are "watched" now. In theory, there should have a been a space policy on watching pages I could easily set.

I need to quickly find all watched pages for a user and cancel the watch without navigating to every page in the space logged in as each user.

Any great ideas ??

Thanks in advance

Nikita Talele July 29, 2020

in my case, I do not have a  Notify watchers tickbox. 

I would like to have some option so that if I create a new Page, it wouldn't bother/disturb/notify other. 

Like Minyi Soon likes this
3 votes
Chris Busch April 1, 2020

This is not a feature, it's a bug. Notify Watchers should be disabled when you create a page and only be manually set active.

Please consider fixing this. 

1 vote
Christoph Pichlmann February 17, 2020

It seems with the new "improved" editor (I'm using the cloud version) the spam is mandatory - you can't unselect it anymore...

There IS an option "publish without notifying" in the "..." menu, but I don't know the hotkey for it.
(The hotkey for regular publishing is CTRL-ENTER it seems.)

1 vote
Mario Günter
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2016

Hi Suneel, 

maybe you take a look at this great plugin - it's for free and we're using it. 

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/confluence.extra.noemailstorm/server/overview

Edit: Sorry, no cloud version.

With No-Email-Storm you decide on pagedit if you want to save only or save and notify.

Hope this helps. 
Cheers,
Mario 

1 vote
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2016

Users get notified in Confluence when they are Watching the content. People watch content by choice or by contributing to content.

Please read up on the documentation – Manage Watchers on Confluence Cloud

To remove space watchers,

1. Go to the page or blog post for which you want to manage the watchers
  2. Choose Watch > Manage Watchers
    The left-hand column of the 'Manage Watchers' dialog shows the users watching the page or blog post. The right-hand column shows the users watching the space.
  3. Remove an existing page, post, or space watcher – choose the trash icon next to their name

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events