Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to post using Confluence REST API HTML Macro in Powershell

Paul March 3, 2022

Hi, I'm after a little help with an problem. I'm trying to post a html table that is auto generated using code. If I manually add a HTML Macro to the page and paste the HTML code into the section everything works find.

I can upload the HTML code into a page without the HTML Macro and it works but I don't get the nice style sheet on the data's table which is what I am after.

I found a same on how to post/update a page with a Confluence-History Macro that works.

I just can not get the HTML Macro to work via an automated PowerShell script.

I've attached the code,  the 2x bits of code that i mention above are tagged "$HTMLPage". 
Thanks for your help and comments in advance.

clear-host
clear-history

write-host -ForegroundColor Cyan "Requesting Login ID and password to authenticate with confluence."
if(-not($Credentials))
{
$Credentials = Get-Credential
}

$ConfluenceURL = "https://confluence.site/rest/api/"

# Confluence ID for page.
$ConfluencePageID = "123456"

$Headers = @{"Authorization" = "Basic "+[System.Convert]::ToBase64String([System.Text.Encoding]::UTF8.GetBytes(($Credentials.UserName+":" `
+[System.Runtime.InteropServices.marshal]::PtrToStringAuto([System.Runtime.InteropServices.marshal]::SecureStringToBSTR($Credentials.Password)) )))
"Accept"="application/json"
"ContentType"="application/json"
'X-Atlassian-Token' = 'nocheck'
}

$Call = "content/{0}?expand=version,body.storage,ancestors,space,results,contenttype" -f $ConfluencePageID

[Net.ServicePointManager]::SecurityProtocol = [Net.SecurityProtocolType]::Tls12

write-host -ForegroundColor Cyan "Logging into the confluence page that requires updating"
$CurrentConfluence = Invoke-WebRequest -Method GET -Headers $Headers -Uri ($ConfluenceURL + $Call) -UseBasicParsing | ConvertFrom-Json

Write-Host -ForegroundColor Cyan "obtaining HTML input data."

# This one does not work!!
$HTMLPage= '<p><br/></p><ac:structured-macro ac:name="html" ac:schema-version="1" ac:macro-id="4f4cf0b7-23d5-43be-94a4-739407bec55c"><ac:plain-text-body><![CDATA[<div><ul><li><a href="#Domain1">Domain1</a></li><li><a href="#Domain2">Domain2</a></li><li><a href="#Domain3">Domain3</a></li><li><a href="#Domain4">Domain4</a></li><li><a href="#Domain5">Domain5</a></li></ul></div><br/><div><table> <colgroup><col/><col/></colgroup><tr><th>Domain</th><th>System Count</th></tr><tr><td>Domain1</td><td>653</td></tr><tr><td>Domain2</td><td>2</td></tr><tr><td>Domain3</td><td>527</td></tr><tr><td>Domain4</td><td>2</td></tr><tr><td>Domain5</td><td>2</td></tr></table></div><br/>
</ac:plain-text-body></ac:structured-macro>]]></ac:plain-text-body></ac:structured-macro>'

# this one works for adding a confluence History anchor
#$HtmlPage = '<p>History macro test</p><p><ac:structured-macro ac:name=\"change-history\" ac:schema-version=\"1\" ac:macro-id=\"360a0d80-082e-4c82-9ee5-0aac5b72f828\" /></p>'

$Body = '{{"type":"{0}","title":"{1}","version":{{"number":"{2}" }},"body":{{"storage":{{"value":"{3}","representation":"storage"}}}}}}' -f $CurrentConfluence.type, $CurrentConfluence.title, $HTMLVersion, $HTMLPage

$Call = "content/$($ConfluencePageID)"

Write-Host -ForegroundColor Yellow "Updated the body contents with new information."
$Error.Clear()
read-host “Press ENTER to publish the update...”
try
{
$UpdateConfluence = Invoke-WebRequest -Method Put -Uri ($ConfluenceURL + $Call) -Body $Body -Headers $Headers -ContentType "application/json;" | convertfrom-json
Write-Host -ForegroundColor Green "Update published"
}
catch
{
$Error
}

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Paul March 9, 2022

Update:

I've worked it out. the issue is the syntax/why confluence interprets the the speechmark ( " )  in the Ancester coding. You need to change the speechmark to ( \" )

clear-host
clear-history

write-host -ForegroundColor Cyan "Requesting Login ID and password to authenticate with confluence."
if(-not($Credentials))
{
$Credentials = Get-Credential
}

$ConfluenceURL = "https://confluence.site/rest/api/"

# Confluence ID for page.
$ConfluencePageID = "123456"

$Headers = @{"Authorization" = "Basic "+[System.Convert]::ToBase64String([System.Text.Encoding]::UTF8.GetBytes(($Credentials.UserName+":" `
+[System.Runtime.InteropServices.marshal]::PtrToStringAuto([System.Runtime.InteropServices.marshal]::SecureStringToBSTR($Credentials.Password)) )))
"Accept"="application/json"
"ContentType"="application/json"
'X-Atlassian-Token' = 'nocheck'
}

$Call = "content/{0}?expand=version,body.storage,ancestors,space,results,contenttype" -f $ConfluencePageID

[Net.ServicePointManager]::SecurityProtocol = [Net.SecurityProtocolType]::Tls12

write-host -ForegroundColor Cyan "Logging into the confluence page that requires updating"
$CurrentConfluence = Invoke-WebRequest -Method GET -Headers $Headers -Uri ($ConfluenceURL + $Call) -UseBasicParsing | ConvertFrom-Json

Write-Host -ForegroundColor Cyan "obtaining HTML input data."

# This one works now!!  Highlighted code change
$HTMLPage = '<ac:structured-macro ac:name=\"html\" ac:schema-version=\"1\" ac:macro-id=\"74c5d460-d9c1-4259-9489-5ca2cea8314c\"><ac:plain-text-body><![CDATA[<div><ul><li><a href="#Domain1">Domain1</a></li><li><a href="#Domain2">Domain2</a></li><li><a href="#Domain3">Domain3</a></li><li><a href="#Domain4">Domain4</a></li><li><a href="#Domain5">Domain5</a></li></ul></div><br/><div><table> <colgroup><col/><col/></colgroup><tr><th>Domain</th><th>System Count</th></tr><tr><td>Domain1</td><td>653</td></tr><tr><td>Domain2</td><td>2</td></tr><tr><td>Domain3</td><td>527</td></tr><tr><td>Domain4</td><td>2</td></tr><tr><td>Domain5</td><td>2</td></tr></table></div><br/>]]></ac:plain-text-body></ac:structured-macro>'

$Body = '{{"type":"{0}","title":"{1}","version":{{"number":"{2}" }},"body":{{"storage":{{"value":"{3}","representation":"storage"}}}}}}' -f $CurrentConfluence.type, $CurrentConfluence.title, $HTMLVersion, $HTMLPage

$Call = "content/$($ConfluencePageID)"

Write-Host -ForegroundColor Yellow "Updated the body contents with new information."
$Error.Clear()
read-host “Press ENTER to publish the update...”
try
{
$UpdateConfluence = Invoke-WebRequest -Method Put -Uri ($ConfluenceURL + $Call) -Body $Body -Headers $Headers -ContentType "application/json;" | convertfrom-json
Write-Host -ForegroundColor Green "Update published"
}
catch
{
$Error
}

Results.
Capture.PNG

a HTML macro now inserted, with a html code body.

Capture1.PNG

Paulo Santos June 21, 2022

This is exactly what I needed and I couldn't find it anywhere else. Many thanks!

Like Paul likes this
Paul June 22, 2022

You are welcome,
I struggled to find any information when I tried to search for this process.

Paulo Santos June 22, 2022

I also just now realise how easy it can be to find the "format" of other (any?) macros. You can just manually create the page with the macros you like, and "get" the page body from confluence using the api. something like this:

result = confluence.get_page_by_id(page_id, expand='body.storage', status=None, version=None)

The result variable is now carrying the HTML code in 

result['body']['storage']['value']

and it looks like this:

<p class="auto-cursor-target"><br /></p>
<ac:structured-macro ac:name="info" ac:schema-version="1" ac:macro-id="c92de1bf-6219-4e53-9e07-f8add638daca">
<ac:rich-text-body>
<p>Page generated automatically</p>
</ac:rich-text-body>
</ac:structured-macro>
<p class="auto-cursor-target">in between text</p>
<ac:structured-macro ac:name="html" ac:schema-version="1" ac:macro-id="04fe5d81-5f3e-4de5-b3cf-976217bd5025">
<ac:plain-text-body>
<![CDATA[<!DOCTYPE html>
this is html text]]>
</ac:plain-text-body>
</ac:structured-macro>
<p><br /></p>
<p><br /></p>
<p>lala</p>
<p class="enh-settings hidden" style="display: none;">{}</p>

with code highlighting is becomes clear:

Annotation 2022-06-22 141858.png

Maybe this helps someone else too 😅