How to post attachments to confluence page

Etienne January 12, 2016

Hi there, I have searched but with no luck so far? Is it possible to post .png images to a confluence page using either Rest API or Java API?The .png images are sourced from a 3rd party tool and the idea is to build a plugin that will export and import (post) the .png images to Confluence pages?

Any help will will be most welcome? 

6 answers

7 votes
rsperafico
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 13, 2016

Hello Etienne,

Thank you for your inquire.

You could be running the following in Python, for instance:

# ===============
# upload attachment
# ===============
import requests
import json

# [CONFLUENCE-BASE-URL], i.e.: http://localhost:8090
# [CONTENT-ID], get content ID by running '[CONFLUENCE-BASE-URL]/rest/api/content'
url = '[CONFLUENCE-BASE-URL]/rest/api/content/[CONTENT-ID]/child/attachment'
headers = {"X-Atlassian-Token": "nocheck"}
data = {"comment":"this is my file"}

# please, uncomment to attach inline content
#files = {'file': ('report.xml', '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><note><to>RECIPIENT</to><from>SENDER</from><heading>ATTACHMENT</heading><body>CONTENT</body></note>')}

# please uncomment to attach external file
#files = {'file': open('text.txt', 'rb')}
#files = {'file': open('image.png', 'rb')}

# upload file to page
# [USERNAME], i.e.: admin
# [PASSWORD], i.e.: admin
r = requests.post(url, data=data, auth=('[USERNAME]', '[PASSWORD]'), files=files, headers=headers)
print(r.status_code)
print(r.text)

Alternatively, you could be running the following cURL command:

# [USERNAME], i.e.: admininstrator
# [DOMAIN], i.e.: mycompany
# [CONTENT-ID], i.e.: 9666562
curl -D- -u [USERNAME] -p -H "X-Atlassian-Token: nocheck" -X POST -F file=@/full/path/to/image.png https://[DOMAIN].atlassian.net/wiki/rest/api/content/[CONTENT-ID]/child/attachment

If you find this answer useful, I would kindly ask you to accept it so the same will be visible to others who might be facing the same issue you have inquired.

Thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards,
Rafael P. Sperafico
Atlassian Support

Dan McMahill March 22, 2018

Thanks for the very useful python example.  I'm curious though, it seems to work for me when I first upload but if my change the file I want to attach and then run the python program again, I get a 400 Bad Request.

Is there some magic needed to allow updating an attachment?

Kalyan December 19, 2018

I am using same CURL command to upload multiple html files but its not allowing me to do so. Could you please suggest. I am using Confluence cloud.

curl -D- -u $USERNAME:$PASSWORD -X PUT -H "X-Atlassian-Token: nocheck" -F "file=@code/pydoc/*.html" -F "minorEdit=false" 'https://alm-tuigroup.atlassian.net/wiki/rest/api/content/504955238/child/attachment' 
antony terrence March 21, 2019

@rsperafico , is there a way to include encrypted username and password in the request?

Ming October 26, 2019

Hi Rafael ,

Thanks so much for your great python example, it's very helpful for me! great!

BR//Ming

Larry Talley May 20, 2020

I think the answer to Dan McMahill's question above is that once an attachment is attached, if you want to update that attachment, then you have to post to a different URL: you need to post to the attachment's data resource. In my case the resource for the attachment update was:

.../rest/api/content/253493424/child/attachment/281051237/data

I was able to find the resource for the attachment via:

curl -k https://.../rest/api/content/253493424/child/attachment | python -mjson.tool

Like # people like this
1 vote
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 13, 2016

Using the Confluence Command Line Interface (CLI) might make it easier - use the addAttachment action. 

0 votes
antony terrence May 27, 2021

You can do a multipart POST call to upload multiple attachments at once.  I wrote something like the following with apache http client mime library.

public int uploadAttachments(String path, List<String> attachmentNames) throws Exception {
CloseableHttpClient client = getClosableHttpClient();
HttpPost request = new HttpPost(buildURI(path));
MultipartEntityBuilder builder = MultipartEntityBuilder.create();
builder.setMode(HttpMultipartMode.BROWSER_COMPATIBLE);

for (String s : attachmentNames) {
if ("binary".equals(Utils.getFileType(s))) {
// System.out.println(s);
// builder.addBinaryBody("file", null)
builder.addBinaryBody("file", new File(s), ContentType.DEFAULT_BINARY, new File(s).getName());
} else if ("text".equals(Utils.getFileType(s))) {
builder.addBinaryBody("file", new File(s), ContentType.TEXT_PLAIN, new File(s).getName());
} else {

}
}
HttpEntity entity = builder.build();
request.setHeader(HttpHeaders.AUTHORIZATION, "Basic " + this.creds);
request.setHeader("X-Atlassian-Token", "no-check");
request.setEntity(entity);
// System.out.println(EntityUtils.toString(request.getEntity()));
CloseableHttpResponse response = client.execute(request);
// System.out.println(EntityUtils.toString(response.getEntity()));
return response.getStatusLine().getStatusCode();
}

0 votes
KOSHTI NIKHILESH July 3, 2020

The python code will move the file in the attachment section. How can we show it in the page content. Any help?

0 votes
Saquib Fraz June 17, 2020

Thanks for the great Python program. Was breaking my head from morning . Finally this beautiful piece of code.

Thanka a lot Rafael P. Sperafico

0 votes
Supreetha Upadhya July 7, 2017

Moving attachments from its current space to a different space:

Using curl, the following can be used to attach the file to a page in a different space:

curl -v -u 'admin:XXX’ -X PUT -d '{"id":"attXXX”,”type":"attachment","title”:”xxx.jpeg","status":"current","ancestors":[],"version": {"number":"2"},"container": {"id": "34514","type": "page","status": "current","title": "Andro Homepage!","space": {"id": 34513,"key": “AR”,”name": "Andro"}}}' -H 'X-Atlassian-Token:<access-token>' -H 'Content-Type:application/json' https://XXX.atlassian.net/wiki/rest/api/content/<parent page id>/child/attachment/attXXX | python -m json.tool

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events