How to paste multiline plain text as paragraphs?

Jan Bares January 14, 2021

When I paste multiline plain text into Confluence (and JIRA), the line-ends are converted to soft line ends (Shift-Enter). I expected that they will be converted to paragraphs. This works with Word, when I paste the same text to Word, it will create paragraphs. Pasting to Word and then copy pasting from Word to Confluence makes the desired result but that's too much thinking, typing and clicking.

Can you help me?

Kind regards, Jan

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2021

There is no way to do it with just a single line break. If they handled it that way then there would be no way to paste text in and have it do line break breaks vs new paragraphs. In order to have paragraph breaks you source text must have two line breaks like this ...

Stuff

Stuff

Things
Jan Bares January 15, 2021

Thank you David for explanation but I don't accept it. In my opinion they could detect format in clipboard and when the format is plain text, do the conversion of pasted text the same way as Word does. In case the browser does not provide a way to tell clipboard format, they could enhance Atlassian Companion tool to do that.

Kind regards, Jan

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 15, 2021

Sure, they could do that, but that is not currently how it is setup. It's not really a bug or anything. It is behaving as it was designed. You could submit a feature request to enhance the functionality.

https://jira.atlassian.com/projects/CONFSERVER/summary

1 vote
Greg Galcik August 11, 2021

I found this page looking for an answer myself, and I've just now tripped into a workaround accidentally.

• Insert a code snippet.
  • Paste your code into it. (code is inserted as line breaks, not paragraph breaks)
  • Select all the code. 
  • Select "clear formatting" from the formatting bar.

Sometimes it's a little fussy, like the "clear formatting" option is grayed out. Sometimes I had to have the text selected, sometimes I had to have the entire object selected (drag the cursor around the whole code block so it has a blue outline).

It's a number of steps but better than pasting 20 lines and having to correct them manually.

0 votes
Ben Chen September 22, 2021

it works with text mode

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events