Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to obtain list of active users in Confluence

Frank McPherson March 1, 2013

I am unable to determine how to obtain a list of all users with Global Permissions. I need to do this because Confluence reports, after I upgraded to 5.0.1, that I'm exceeding my license count with 103 active users. My JIRA installation reports 100 users. Confluence is using JIRA's user directory read-only.

I am also unable to figure out how to list users by directory in Confluence - it may be that I have a couple of users in the internal directory and don't know it.

The Atlassian Answers document at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFKB/How+to+Get+a+List+of+Active+Users+Counting+Towards+the+Confluence+License claims that the UI will provide a list of all users with Global permissions, via the Administration->Global Permissions screen. This is unfortunately not the case in either Confluence 4.3.5 or 5.0.1.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Daniel Borcherding
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 3, 2013

Another important thing to remember that if you have deactivated users in your instnace they will need to be removed from all groups that have the "CAN USE" permission.

As you rightly state you may have some users kicking around in the confluence internal directory. This will at minimum contain the user that you used to set up Confluence. It is not the best idea in the world, as it robs you of a back door into your instnace, but you can remove the Confluence internal directory from the list of user directories. I would not recommend this, but if you are at your license cap, it is a temporary mitigation.

I would consider if every user in JIRA really needs to access Confluence.

We have the following document on removing or deactivating users

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Removing+or+Deactivating+Users

You may just wish to remov those users that do not need access to your instance.

0 votes
viranga Jayalath October 17, 2018

Commands
---------------------
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-get-a-list-of-active-users-counting-towards-the-jira-application-license-278695452.html

login to jira server (if RDS) or jira DB

SELECT DISTINCT u.lower_user_name
FROM   cwd_user u
       JOIN cwd_membership m
         ON u.id = m.child_id
            AND u.directory_id = m.directory_id
       JOIN licenserolesgroup lrg
         ON Lower(m.parent_name) = Lower(lrg.group_id)
       JOIN cwd_directory d
         ON m.directory_id = d.id
WHERE  d.active = '1'
       AND u.active = '1'
    AND license_role_name = 'jira-software';

copy the output to a file in local pc

cat /tmp/xxx | sed 's/^[ \t]*//;s/[ \t]*$//' > /tmp/output.file
sed 's/$/,/' output.file > output2.file
cat output2.file | tr -d '\n' > output3.file

go to confluence , find your group and past the comma separated user list to group 

0 votes
Frank McPherson March 10, 2013

Both answers, from Eddie Web and Daniel Borcherding, were helpful. I also ended up generating a list directly from the SQL. This query lists each Jira user and their last login time:

SELECT DISTINCT u.user_name, to_timestamp(CAST(cua.attribute_value AS double precision)/1000) AS last_login 
FROM cwd_user_attributes cua
JOIN cwd_user u ON u.id = cua.user_id
JOIN cwd_membership m
ON u.id = m.child_id
AND u.directory_id = m.directory_id
JOIN schemepermissions sp
ON LOWER(m.parent_name) = LOWER(sp.perm_parameter)
JOIN cwd_directory d
ON m.directory_id = d.id
WHERE cua.user_id = u.id AND cua.attribute_name = 'lastAuthenticated' AND sp.permission IN ('0','1','44') AND d.active = '1' and u.active = '1'
ORDER BY last_login;

Jetersen June 13, 2019

This is an updated and simplified version of it:

SELECT DISTINCT u.user_name, to_timestamp(CAST(cua.attribute_value AS double precision)/1000) AS last_login 
FROM cwd_user_attribute cua
JOIN cwd_user u ON u.id = cua.user_id
WHERE u.active = 'T' AND cua.attribute_name = 'lastAuthenticated'
ORDER BY last_login;
0 votes
EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2013

The document states: "You can click on each group individually to reveal their members."

Which does not seem to be true from the "global permissions" page, but if you browse to the "groups" browser, there is a listing of the count for each group. Clicking that count will reveal the list of users.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events