Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to migrate our site to a German (or any EU) server?

Melih R. Çalıkoğlu March 28, 2023

The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) of the EU, stipulates strict rules regarding cross-border data transfers.
Our site (https://gascaerasmus.atlassian.net)  is our knowledge base for a EU project that currently we are carrying out and we are using Confluence extensively for all our project activities. 
EU Commission just send an official letter to all Erasmus + project partners about data privacy and informed us that we are SUB-PROCESSORS and we can not once again transfer our data to a sub-processor without permission of the Commission. 
Atlassian is a multinational service and has its servers all around the world. Which makes things complicated regarding cross-border data transfers. 
My question is, if it is possible to migrate our site to a German (or any other EU Country) server and be sure that it is not duplicated or backed up on other servers which are out of the EU?
Regards

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Oliver Siebenmarck _Polymetis Apps_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 28, 2023

Hi @Melih R. Çalıkoğlu ,

The picture here is pretty mixed, so let me elaborate a bit.

First: Yes, there is a data residency option for Confluence Cloud, which allows you to pin your data to a specific region. Currently that's US, EU, Germany, and Australia.

However, not all data can be pinned to a specific region. You can find a list of what's in-scope and what's not on this page: https://support.atlassian.com/security-and-access-policies/docs/understand-data-residency/

And finally, to make matters a bit more complicated, there is also the topic of Marketplace apps. If you use any apps from the Marketplace, you will also need to check with the vendor of every app whether the app supports data-residency and, if so, which data is in-scope for that particular app.

Hope that helps,
 Oliver

Melih R. Çalıkoğlu March 28, 2023

Thank you for the immediate information. 
I checked and from what I read, to migrate to an EU server the account should be at least on standart tier and not on free tier. 
Is that correct?

Melih

Oliver Siebenmarck _Polymetis Apps_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 28, 2023

Hi @Melih R. Çalıkoğlu ,

Yes, as far as I am aware, you'll need to be at least on the standard tier (ie paid) to be able to use the data-residency features.

Best regards,

Oliver

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events