How to manage users in Confluence from JIRA

Dilyara Saetova November 17, 2017

Hello, guys
Me and our system administrator are trying to make all confluence users managable from JIRA by adding of deleting them from the group "confluence users".
We used this instruction https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/connecting-to-crowd-or-jira-for-user-management-229838465.html but we ended up with all the users from JIRA imported to Confluence.
The problem is that we don't want all the users from JIRA to be in Confluence, we need in Confluence only those who were added to the confluence users" group.
Could anyone tell me how to do it, please?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2017

I am using Jira as the user directory for both Confluence and Bitbucket. You control how have access to Confluence by setting up the Global Permissions. As an admin if you go to users and list all users you will see all users, even those that do not have access to Confluence because you are using Jira as the user directory. But if you configure the global permissions to only allow confluence-users and confluence-administrators to use Confluence, and go to People it will only show the users belonging to those groups.

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2017

Application Access -> Confluence should be on the list and then grant the confluence-users only access to Confluence.

Thank you Mikael!

Dilyara Saetova November 20, 2017

Mikael Sandberg, I'll try it, thank you so much!

0 votes
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 17, 2017

Weird not sure how you did it in your previous job.

If JIRA is the User Management then you have to create a user there first and then grant them access to other Applications.

In fact there are 2 groups that users get added to as soon as their accounts are created: jira-users and confluence-users.

Best of luck!

0 votes
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 17, 2017

You are using JIRA for User Management, which is right.

Any groups or users added to JIRA will have access to Confluence. May be you should apply restrictions in Confluence itself at the Space Permission level.

But in the previous company where I used to work, only users from the group "confluence users" (in JIRA) had acess to Confluence, so I could manage Confluence users by adding them to the group or deleting them from it - so I know it is possible.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2017

Are you sure that in the previous company you used Jira user directory? It could be done for Active directory, Crowd user directory but I am afraid not for Jira user directory.

Active directory is actual for microsoft but we use linux.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2017

I have seen cofigurations where Jira ran on a linux server but used Active Directory. In your case you could use LDAP, for example. But I guess your question was if it was possible to restrict imported users to Confluence by their groups using Jira user directory. And my answer was that it was not possible for Jira user directory. If you had such configuration in your previous work, then somebody will see the question and answer.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events