How to make the content of a confluence page impossible to be copied/pasted, or directly downloaded?

Pierre Lacomme September 1, 2017

I want to create a confluence page with text, images and videos, the access to the page will be part of a paid formation, and copyrighted.
The Jira users should not be able to reproduce any of it's content easily.

I am aware of the fact that anything which is displayed can be reproduced, but I want to make the average user unable to do so (disable right-click, ctrl+c, and print should be enough).

I saw that some plugins allow to insert HTML code inside a Confluence page, but I fear that all the page should then be coded in HTML with the limitations that come with it.
The goal would be to simply give access to the page content in a "read only" fashion, without making the maintenance/modification process of the page too complicated for the administrators.

Could the content be displayed via a read only PDF in the page? Would that suffice to prevent easy reproduction? 

Thank you for your help

P.L.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2017

Hi Pierre,

you can create a user macro that adds a script to your page. 

Create a macro called "disable right click" like that:

## Macro title: disable-rightclick
##
## @noparams

<script type="text/javascript">
function click (e) {
if (!e)
e = window.event;
if ((e.type && e.type == "contextmenu") || (e.button && e.button == 2) || (e.which && e.which == 3)) {
if (window.opera)
window.alert("Function is deactivated");
return false;
}
}
if (document.layers)
document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);
document.onmousedown = click;
document.oncontextmenu = click;
</script>

Then add this macro to your page and disable right clicks by this script. 

Pierre Lacomme September 1, 2017

Thank you Thomas for your answer, I'll give it a try !
I let this topic open for now, in case someone else wants to contribute.

Pierre Lacomme September 7, 2017

Hello Thomas and thank you for your solution it was exactly what I was looking for.
I just deleted the line "if (window.opera)" so the pop up message works on every browser. (works on Edge, FF and Chrome)
However, the crtl+c and just click and drag an image still represent a really easy way to copy the content of the page.
If you think of anything to help about this it would be amazing.
Can a HTML macro block the use of clipboard?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events