Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make a good storage choice if moving my confluence prototype installation a few times.

Tim Penner March 25, 2014

I'm planning to move my prototype confluence installation at least a couple times, from a basic PC, to a powerful PC, and then (I'm sorta guessing here) to a Linux server, and then maybe an enterprise server. It occurs to me to use my fav opensource database (MySQL) as the storage mechanism so I can just unload/reload data at each step. Does this make sense? Am I over-complicating things? Should just trust Atlassian migration tools and take the path of least resistance with each installation? For example: just use the built-in database for my PCs and wait to use a database with the Linux server.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tim Penner July 17, 2014

It turns out that importing from a backup is pretty "safe". I used it to convert my little installation from a built-in database to an external Postgresql database.

We apparently hung confluence by doing a huge nasty import (from word) running on the internal database, so I started to get nervous. We abandoned that little database and started again since we had only done some learning experiments. I restared quickly with the built-in base again and then, after a couple weeks of getting some nice test content looking decent, I created the new install with Postgresql and ported the data over. It worked perfectly. And the benefit (besides the comfort that I have a proper database running) is that, even with the little system I'm hosting this on, the whole thing seems to run a lot faster.

For those who might be curious about my "little installation", I have an aging 4-core (8-thread) I7 portable computer with 8 GB member running Windows 7 pro. Confluence is running on an Ubuntu 12.04 guest of Virtual Box. I gave it 4GB of the memory and 4 of the processors. Confluence is very snappy in this environment - kudo's to the performance team.

The ubuntu/confluence installation with postgresql was a piece of cake (compared to MySQL, at least). Using a VM means that if someone bequeathes me better hardware (and if I get money for more licences), there's no rebuilding. I just run-up Virtual Box again on any kind of monster host and copy the Ubuntu image to it. My backups are being sent to a large external drive managed by Windows.

0 votes
Martin Jæger March 26, 2014
My initial thought is that you might be overcomplicating. You would have to do some reversing of the database, in order to make sure that you extract what you need. I could also imagine that the import/export-feature has special 'treatment' around references between pages/spaces etc. But be aware when using the import/export. If you do a 'full' export (evertything), and import it into another instance, you will wipe ALL other content already there. Great power, great responsibility!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events