How to link to headings on the same page (new editor)

Charisma Riley December 12, 2019

I have been unable to determine how to link to a heading on the same page using the new editor. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

13 answers

33 votes
rob_lingstuyl
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 1, 2022

what a shit experience

Mat Walker September 27, 2023

Crudely put.  But actually spot on! Its ucky guys!

Like # people like this
9 votes
Beatriz Cruz
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 19, 2021

Hi @Charisma Riley and all the Atlassian Community!

Just do the following:::

1. Write down the section name you want the link.
    1. Example:
      Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 22.35.11.png
  2. Write down the words that you want link your heading, let's assume that is "this section";
  3. Modify the phrase "this section" with the Link Tool, located in the Confluence editing toolbar;Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 22.36.43.png
  4. The address must be #<header name> :
    • Example:
      Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 22.37.14.png
  5. DONE!
    Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 22.37.50.png
Martin Gregory February 24, 2021

Thanks, yay, I was able to make that work.

My interface didn't quite match the last screenshot - I had to select "Advanced" in the link tool modal that popped up.

Like # people like this
felix.weber May 3, 2021

Wondering that it is working for you with spaces in the link - if the header is just a single word it worked.

However when the headers had space within - "computer says no" :D 

Like # people like this
Cameron Young
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 5, 2021

@felix.weber if you look at the URL from the published page to a heading with spaces, it has hyphens replacing the spaces.

So "#computer says no" would not link to the heading "computer says no", but "#computer-says-no" will!

Like # people like this
Laura Adams
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 28, 2021

The # option does not work for me

Like # people like this
Andreas Lianos September 13, 2021

It doesn't work for me either, in only saves the # but no text.

Like # people like this
kwameopareasiedu
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 3, 2021

Just got this to work. For the issue about space in the links, here's a fix:

Simply replace every space in your heading with a hyphen. Some examples below:

If heading is "Section 1", the link will be #Section-1
If heading is "Section - 1", the link will be #Section---1

Hope this helps...

Like # people like this
Michelle
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 23, 2021

Hi! It works if you change the spaces with dashes, like @ccenvcvb says in his comment down the thread. For example with these headings,

Heading 1

Heading 2

You would link a text like "Let's go back to Heading 1" with #Heading-1 as link path.

Like Anwesh Gangula likes this
Kate Hanna August 16, 2022

Thanks Beatriz - we've used this in our Confluence Server install even with headings with space in them.  So useful!

George Riley
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 4, 2023

This didn't work for me with dashes instead of spaces.  I used an Anchor macro and linked to that.
https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/insert-the-anchor-macro/

Like Serhiy Balan likes this
Guy Banister April 17, 2024

I can confirm that # does work, but:

1. You indeed need to replace spaces with hyphens '-'
  2. The case of your text within the link needs to match that of the Heading precisely.

e.g.

My Fancy new Heading

#My-Fancy-New-Heading --> this will NOT work due to the capital 'N'

#My-Fancy-new-Heading --> this will work

5 votes
Paul Steckler January 8, 2021

Was this fixed?

According to https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/confluence-cloud-editor-roadmap/ links to headers are supposed to be natively supported.

But they sure don't show up in any link interface we have in the new editor.

3 votes
Johannes Schneider February 16, 2022

Wow this is awesome! My people will kill me if I tell them how complicated it is to jump to a title! 

And it is getting weird as soon as someone dares to change the text in a title. 

Like # people like this
3 votes
ccenvcvb November 17, 2021

To link to

My heading one

add a link (ctrl-k)  #My-heading-one

replacing spaces with minus

FsInj41

Moogambigai G R
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 25, 2022

Hi there,

If my heading has special characters : its not working

heaing.PNG

Management-Pathway:-Pre-Sliced-or-Sliced-View-at-HMI-in-Print-Job-Details

the above one i have tried but no luck.

tako
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 23, 2023

'-' between words of naming of 'Haeding' works for me! Thanks!

2 votes
Andreas Bonenkamp
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 26, 2023

Looks like one can now simply use the /anchor feature to create a target in your document.

Screenshot 2023-01-26 104051.jpg

Link format will then be simply "#[anchorname]"

Has this just recently be added?

Marina Radcke
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 8, 2023

I'm new to Confluence, but I also found the Anchor feature in our Cloud solution and it's working for me, so far.

George Riley
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 4, 2023

I successfully used this when the link to the header did not work.

2 votes
Dominic Lagger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2019

Hi @Charisma Riley 

I've found a solution, but this didn't work for me...

Try this out, which is explained here

Linkable headings
Over the next couple of weeks, we're rolling out the ability to copy the link to a heading so that you can connect your users to the most important sections of a page.  

To get the heading link

1. Hover over the section title when viewing the page.
  2. Click the link icon to copy the heading.
  3. Share the link, or insert a link to it when editing a page.

Edit: This behaviour works in view mode. so you have to copy the link in view mode and paste it in edit mode...

Regards, Dominic

Charisma Riley December 13, 2019

It does work for me, but you must exit the editor, go to the published page, grab the heading url, go back into the editor, and then plug it in where it goes — for each and every link! This is *not* a viable alternative to using anchors.

Like # people like this
Dominic Lagger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 14, 2019

I totally agree with you... There are a lot of users complaining this. Check out some other posts about anchors. 

Like # people like this
Deleted user February 10, 2020

This is ridiculous and will take an enormous amount of time to undertake on some of our pages.  Have Atlassian responded with any suggested changes to improve this view / edit mode.

Like # people like this
Jake Laack April 3, 2020

I might be crazy, but those "link icons" don't appear on any of our Confluence Cloud pages like the documentation says.  This makes it tough to copy the link...

Like George Riley likes this
Lahiru Karunatilake
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 4, 2020

Copy link works for me. The copy link appears only published pages.

1. Add all your heading.

2. Save the page.

3. Hower over the heading.

4. click on the copy link floating icon.

5 Go to edit mode, select the text to be a link, pres command + K and paste the link.

Like Emily Fridley likes this
Kris_McMinn
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 30, 2020

The way I have been doing it is, include a Table of Contents at the top, view the document in published/view mode and copy the link to the appropriate heading from the ToC and paste into the link.

Its clunky, but it works :|

Like # people like this
Bryan Hunt
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 7, 2021

This is incredibly weak. Compare this linking functionality to Google Docs for example. Linking is trivial over there. I can't believe how poor this implementation is for a billion-dollar company. 

Like # people like this
Jason Kerr
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 5, 2022

Sigh... do Atlassian employees actually use their own products - COnfluence is a very weak editor for tech docs - or humans

Like Denver Goldsteen likes this
1 vote
Yen Wen Heng
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 6, 2020

I'm able to link it but when I clicked on it, it doesn't bring me to that particular section/heading that I've linked it to. Anyone else facing that issue?

Lucas Diez de Medina
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 17, 2020

Me too, tried several ways and sources for the link (copied it from the header in view mode, from the table of contents, created the link manually as documented, but nothing works.

The legacy editor was way better, and even after more than a year of releasing this new editor, Atlassian doesn't seem to fix very simple issues.

Like # people like this
Jeff Scott
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 29, 2022

I just found this article, using the latest version, still no better support for linking within the page, but I was able to go get it to work actively bring me to the desired section.

The link syntax that worked for me is "#<HeadingTextWithNoSpaces>"

for example, here is my section heading:

This is Section 100

The Advanced link setup would be as shown:ConfluencePageLink.png

0 votes
Erkan KAYHAN
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 6, 2024

For those of you who did not succeed with previous answers.

In my case, I did not manage to make it work starting with #<header with spaces> and #<header-with-hyphens>.

What worked for me was #<header-with-hyphens> but adding the url encoding for special characters as the url value.

Example: (french word with accent, and apostrophe characters)

Création dun certificat.

you would put this as url value:

#Cr%C3%A9ation-d%E2%80%99un-certificat.

Hope this helps

0 votes
Thawfeek Yahya
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 8, 2022

What worked for me is ,

on your brower open the developer tools , in chrome ( Ctrl + Shift + I ) select the heading you wanted to make a link , copy the id name and the append your link with # . 

0 votes
Chris Hills
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 14, 2022

When I try to put in a link of the format #Link-to-section, when I save the page it replaces the link with just "#" which does not link anywhere.

Ryan Bolton-Smith
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 21, 2022

Hey Chris, New here also. I have been having this exact issue. I had some punctuation in my title that I was using, I removed the '?' & "'"

For example: 

My heading was "What is a hiring manager's role?"

-  Every time it would just leave me with the # also.

I removed all punctuation and tried again and it worked. Hopefully, that is helpful.

Ryan Bolton-Smith
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 21, 2022

Update it seems the '?' is fine to use. Seems the underlying issue is the ' which the linking doesn't like.

0 votes
Londer Jan August 10, 2021

We are on version 6.15.4 and this works for me:

• Insert a table contents (TOC) at the top of the page.
  • Save your page and for the heading that you want to link to, copy the link from your TOC
  • Edit your page again, insert a link (web link) and paste the link that you copied. Save the page again.

But far from efficient.

And don't forget to do it, again and again, each time the text of the title changes! 

Lloyd Bullard May 17, 2023

this is the only option that has worked for me. its also a horrible solution for linking between document sections and is annoying to maintain. 

0 votes
Lewis Counsell March 18, 2021

If you have your Headings created and want to add the links, you can publish the page and have it in View on one browser tab and in Edit on another browser tab.

Then you can grab the links from the View and paste them into the Edit tab using the link tool. This saves you having to jump in and out of Edit mode.

felix.weber May 3, 2021

in general you are right - that is also how I did in the past - but as also discussed above its way to complicated;

the feature with the # as explained by @Beatriz Cruz  above is better - at least if it works ;) 

Like Bryan Hunt likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events