How to link to an anchor

Schalk Lubbe December 6, 2021

Hi,

I've read the documentation on how to insert an anchor, and then inserted the anchor.

But linking to it seems impossible because my version of Confluence does not have the "Advance" option when I want to add a link.

Is there another way around this? Or is the answer to simply take the content I wanted to link to and put it on its own page?

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 6, 2021

@Schalk Lubbe I am assuming you are on Confluence Cloud based on where this question is posted. are you following the directions for linking to an anchor found here?

Insert Links and Anchors 

Let me know so I can try to assist if this is not working for you.

Yes, @Andy Gladstone but the problem -- as I stated in my question -- is that there is no "Advanced" option when I click / Ctrl+G to link.
And simply adding "#pagename-anchorname" doesn't work as it is supposed to -- it simply takes me to the top of the page, not to the anchor location on the page.

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 6, 2021

@Schalk Lubbe the Link->Advanced is only used in the legacy editor. Are you using the legacy editor? I only ask as most people I have come across have upgraded from the legacy editor and are on the new editor where the process of linking to an anchor differs.

Thanks, @Andy Gladstone.

I'm using the new editor. But it still doesn't work.

I tried 2 different approaches:

• sitename.domain/wiki/Page+Name#AnchorName
  • sitename.domain/wiki/Page+Name#Page+Name-AnchorName

Neither of those approaches work -- the link takes me to the top of the (correct) page but not to the anchor.

Notes:

1. My page name does have spaces, so I kept the "+" characters in the link
  2. The AnchorName has no spaces and no special characters -- just alphabetical
  3. I'm aware that the anchor name is case sensitive in the link, and I used it in the correct case for each character

I've wasted too many hours trying to get this working, so will just live with it (for now) and move that anchored text to its own page later.

Kind regards,

Schalk

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events