How to link to a specific section heading from an external site?

Aileen De Lara September 3, 2018

Hi!

So I have a really long KB, and I used a TOC so my viewers can jump from one section to another. Now, I'm sending an email and trying to direct them to specific sections of that doc using the link from the TOC (#section header) but it doesn't go to the specific section... Help please! :)

1 answer

0 votes
Sireesha Dugginapeddi [Appfire]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2018

Hi Aileen,

Using the link from TOC in your email should work. Please re-check by performing one of the following:

• Copy the specific section link address from the TOC, by right-clicking the link and selecting 'Copy link address' from the options, 
    OR
  • Navigate to the specific section through TOC and copy the link from the URL

In both the cases the link you copy should look something like this - https://wiki.company.com/SpaceName/PageTitle#PageTitle-SectionTitle. Use this link in your email. You should be able to direct your viewers to the intended section.

Alternatively, you can also use Anchors for these specific sections to accomplish the same. Please have a look at https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/anchors-139442.html.

PS: Ensure your viewers have 'View' permissions to the page.

Hope this helps! 

Thanks

Sireesha

Aileen De Lara September 4, 2018

Hi Sireesha!

Thanks for your reply! I tried doing both (copying spec section and navigating to the spec section to copy URL) but failed. 

If Im in the page, the TOC works perfectly. I don't understand what's wrong.. :( 

Here is an example of my link to a specific section:

https://ematic.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/EKB/pages/194576786/UI+Dashboard+-+Bye-iQ#UIDashboard-Bye-iQ-Performance

And yes, all my users have view access to the page. 

Appreciate any help! :)

Sireesha Dugginapeddi [Appfire]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 5, 2018

Aileen,

Once you copy the URL, try opening a new tab and check if you are able to open the copied link there. If it works, it should work in your email too.

If not, can you please share the error or failure message you see on navigating to the intended URL?

And, I have compared the URL you shared with the one I tested in my space. Here is the difference I see (No hyphen between words of the Page Title after #):

#UIDashboardByeiQ-Performance

Thanks

Sireesha

Aileen De Lara September 5, 2018

Yeah, did that, the URL only goes to the page (top), not the section header/section where Im directing it to go. :(

Robert Reiner _smartics_
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 6, 2018

Maybe you could have a look at the HTML source of your page? There should be an attribute called id at the heading element that surrounds your heading title text. This is the value you need to put after the hash mark (#) for links from outside of Confluence.

And just to mention (probably not the problem since you see the correct behavior when you use the TOC): Also note that browsers may not point to the heading if the text of the page is shorter than the browser window. If that is the case you would need to make the window smaller so that the heading you intend to jump to is outside of the browser window.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events