Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to link images to a URL if image preview is enabled

Dave Rook July 9, 2019

I'm struggling with something that should be very simple. All I want to do is make an image clickable, so when the users clicks the image they are directed to a URL. 

When in edit mode, if I click an image I get the option to add a Web Link, it saves but doesn't do what it suggests because  when I test my changes (not logged in) the URL has been overridden with the image preview.

This is basic functionality (nearly every web page I can think of has a company logo which when clicked returns the user to the home page) and as such, I'm convinced I'm doing something wrong, Can some one help?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Rook July 9, 2019

We had a plug in that was overriding the default behaviour (lightbox)

1 vote
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 9, 2019

Hi @Dave Rook ,

it should work like this:

Add an image to your page, select it and click on "Link":

image.png

Add a Weblink and insert it:

image.png

Save the page. Clicking the image should lead you to the web address. 

Dave Rook July 9, 2019

Hi @Thomas Schlegel 

That is the process I (tried to) described. I am doing exactly what you've shared.

The issue is, after I log out and return to the page (simulating someone visiting my web page), when i click the link, it shows an image preview (the image only in the browser).

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 9, 2019

Do you link to a webpage or to another Confluence page?

Dave Rook July 9, 2019

Another confluence page (different URL), via the Web link. @Thomas Schlegel 

The destination web link is on another domain

eg, linking from

mysite.com/page

to

someOtherSiteThatWeOwn/page2

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2019

That's a strange behaviour. I tested it again in my environment, also as an anonymous user and it works perfectly.

Just for clarification: you are using Confluence Server, right? 

What do you see in your browser's footer, when you hover over your image? The link to someOtherSiteThatWeOwn/page2?

Which Browser are you using?  

Dave Rook July 9, 2019

Chrome. 

If you're not seeing it, then perhaps it's something controlled/configured on the admin side (which I don't have access too)... I will chat with IT now I know this seems like it is not a confluence issue

Dave Rook July 9, 2019

It turned out it's something to do with a plugin called Lunchbox that is overriding the behaviour. Thanks for your help @Thomas Schlegel 

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2019

You're welcome, @Dave Rook  - great that you found the problem!

Saeed Hessami September 19, 2019

@Thomas Schlegel I am trying to do the same - linking an image to a URL. However, I don't even see the link option when I click on the image. I am using the cloud version of Confluence.

Appreciate your help.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2019

Hi @Saeed Hessami ,

on Cloud, it should be exactly the same. I just tried it and it looks like this:

image.png

• Edit the page
  • Select the image
  • and then you should see the buttons 
Saeed Hessami September 20, 2019

Thanks @Thomas Schlegel for your response. I tried it again and the same issue. Then I created another page but this time I did not choose the option I had selected the first time and this time when I inserted an image I could see what you see.

I created the page I had an issue with using the selection shown in the screenshot below:

Confluence.PNG

I assume this page handles images differently.

Thanks for your patience and help.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2019

You’re welcome, @Saeed Hessami 

Like Saeed Hessami likes this
AMT April 16, 2020

Hello, @Thomas Schlegel 

I seem to be having the same issue as Saeed Hessami in the thread above. My image is a JPEG. As you can see I don't have an option to link the URL to the image. Your assistance is appreciated. Thank you.

2020-04-16_17-15-06.jpg

Like Rahul Kumar likes this
Rahul Kumar October 15, 2020

@AMT I am also facing the same issue.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events