How to link Status Macro across pages in Confluence

Alison Tanner October 5, 2018

Hello,

I'm new to Confluence and have a question about using the Status Macro. Here's what I'd like to do:

Create a parent page that has a table (as below) showing all Active projects.  I want to include a column that shows project status.  The next column will list the project name and be hyperlinked to the individual project detail page.

Is there a way to have the Status Macro update the individual project detail page automatically when I update the status on the 'parent' page?  How would I link the two so I'm not having to maintain status in multiple places?

We are not using JIRA for projects currently, though it appears this would happen automatically if integrated with a JIRA issue. 

I've done some searching on the Community but have been unable to find this specific use case.  Thanks in advance for any guidance on how to do this!  Example below.

2018-10-05_13-33-46.png

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 7, 2018

I built something like this recently. The solution is to use the page properties macro on each child page (using a standard structure). In the Status row you can insert a status macro. Then on the report page, you use the page-properties-report-macro, configure as needed, and voilà, you have your report.

Now to make your life easier, you can create a user macro to wrap the status macro to restrict users to a set of selections (and set colors). And create a template page with the page properties macro already inserted to ensure that that the table is correctly configured.

Alison Tanner October 8, 2018

Bill, Thanks for the suggestions. When I attempt to add the table to the Page Properties Macro as the instructions suggest I'm not able to, the option is not available and a message indicates a nested table is unsupported. We use Confluence Cloud so I'm not sure if that would have any impact.  Is there a different method you know of?

Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2018

It is supported for cloud, but make sure you are not inserting the macro inside of another table. Basically, it has to be its own table (with a key-value structure). Take a look carefully at the doc: page-properties-macro

Alison Tanner October 10, 2018

Thanks, Bill.  You are correct, I overlooked that it was in a table.  Will try again, thank you!

Max May 23, 2022

Hi. Is it possible to insert just status without whole report table?

The point is I want to use status labels in my custom table outside of report. I tried to insert report and configure it but there is no way to leave just one cell

1 vote
Stiltsoft Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 28, 2022

Hi @Alison Tanner ,

As it was suggested before, the combination of the page properties and page properties report macro can be a solution for you. You can make your workflow even more efficient with Handy Macros for Confluence. It allows changing statuses in the page view mode from a predefined status set. Hope that helps.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events