How to keep private information within Confluence in a team format?

Admin September 8, 2017

The objective of us using Confluence is to develop a knowledge repository only accessible to our team members in order to save time on training and increase operational excellence. In a nutshell, this is about creating intellectual property withint the walls of Confluence. 

This repository is like putting money in a safe being Confluence. It turns out that this safe has a lot of holes whereby users can export the pages, share confidential informaiton at the click of a button. I already spent hours going through the help desk and did not find any solution that really work.

This discussion is an invitation to other users facing the same issue to throw some solutions allowing the data to remain within the walls of Confluence.  

I hope this discussion also gets the attention of the product managers at Confluence as this issue is a deterrent to use Confluence.  I was attending a presentation from a sucessful serial entrepreneur last night. He kept repeating "uderstand what the customer wants".  

2 answers

0 votes
Admin September 8, 2017

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 11.26.31 AM.png

Admin September 8, 2017

Thank you. I tried that but there is no disable button.  Do you know where it is located?

Admin September 8, 2017

"This lets a user export the whole space. This is different to page exports - anyone who can view a page can also export it."

Is it possible to prevent a user from exporting a page?

Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 8, 2017

In Confluence server these all all components (add-ons/apps) that can be disabled. 

You screenshot above indicates that you are using Cloud, and in Cloud you do not have the same permssions as when using Confluence Server.

-Lars

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 8, 2017
Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 8, 2017

I stand corrected. Not using cloud myself :)

Admin September 8, 2017

Is it possible to disable the export word option?

Admin September 8, 2017

I have not found the disable option

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 8, 2017

Hmm, you're right. I've just tested that in my Cloud testing environment. The Disable button is not there anymore.

Sorry for the wrong information. I will point Atlassian to the wrong information in the knowledge base.

Admin September 8, 2017

On the server version, can you disable the export word version?

Admin September 8, 2017

Is it to update Confluence server version?

Admin September 8, 2017

Is it easy..

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 8, 2017

Yes, the button is there (Confluence 5.10.7) :

image.png

Admin September 8, 2017

This is to export in pdf. Confluence also offers the possiblity to export in word.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 8, 2017

You can add the following to your space stylesheet:

#action-export-word-link{ display: none}

This will disable the menu for exporting the page to word.

I didn't find another option to disable the functionality.

Admin September 8, 2017

Great. thank you

Admin September 8, 2017

I take this can only be done on the server version

Admin September 14, 2017

I got the server option up and running. Thomas how do I get access to the space stylesheet? Thanks for letting me know.  

Admin September 15, 2017

Thomas

Is there any chance you could reply to my question? I cannot find the global stylesheet

0 votes
Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 8, 2017

In my opinion, Confluence is not a safe. Confluence is a place to collaborate, write documentation and also use as a intranet.

Confluence has "fine" grained permissions. Pages can be limited to viewing and export can be turned off.

What confluence can not do it prevent someone (with access) from copying text and share it, or take a screenshot, and share it.

What security features are you missing?

-Lars

Admin September 8, 2017

Thank you for your reply. 

1. How can you turn off the export? I went to the system add on under the admin panel and found the share add on but there is no disable button. Maybe this is done differently. 

2. Is it possible to turn off the share option on Confluence?

I have no problem with copy pasting content and sharing offline because doing so for hundreds of pages would be quite time consuming which is deterrent by itself. 

Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 8, 2017

1. Export is a permission available on each space.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/space-permissions-overview-139521.html

2. Confluence, Manage add-ons, System. Share page, Disable

-Lars

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events