How to insert image from attachments?

Andrew McDonald July 21, 2021

In the old editor I was able to insert another instance of an attachment I'd previously added to a page. I can't find any way to do this in the new editor - it always triggers the "file open" dialogue box straight away.

This is cumbersome as I have to redownload the image from the attachments, insert and then delete it again.

Does it compare hashes of the files to ensure it only ever stores the data once, or something?

2 answers

1 vote
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 20, 2022

Hello @Adam Badura,

Thanks for reaching out to the Atlassian Community!

There are some details about this change in the article below posted by our product manager Owen.

Feel free to add your feedback on the article so Owen will be notified. 

Checking the feature that I shared previously, someone linked to another ticket and, this issue is considered as a Bug and not a Feature. Both are still valid and I linked both so our developers can be aware.

Kind regards,
Angélica

Adam Badura January 31, 2022

Hi @Angélica Luz 

Thanks for your response, i've commented and voted on a bunch of tickets regarding the issue already and i don't really see the point to add any more feedback.

Now it's Atlassian's turn to finally stop delaying and bring back the feature that was removed.

Thanks anyway.

Best regards,

Adam

Like # people like this
0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 22, 2021

Hello @Andrew McDonald,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

With the recent changes in Confluence, the ability to insert attachments that were previously attached was removed.

For now, it’s only possible to insert files directly from your own machine. 

For more details, please check the ticket and the article below:

There is a feature request suggesting improvements for that:

Please, click on vote and also watch to receive future updates from our product team.

Kind regards,
Angélica

Andrew McDonald July 22, 2021

Thanks @Angélica Luz . Very disappointing to learn the functionality has simply been stripped out. Those tickets date back years - how long and how many upvotes before the feature is reimplemented?

Like # people like this
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
July 23, 2021

Hi Andrew,

It will depend on other factors, not only votes and we don’t have an ETA of when a feature will be implemented.

For more details, please check our policy below:

Adam Badura January 19, 2022

@Angélica Luz Could you please shed some light on the reason why was this removed? I am struggling with editing a page with large numer of attachments and this is really annoying.

I really cannot think of a reason why this was changed.

Very disappointing.

Oh, I don't really think it is a New feature - it was there for years and was removed.

Having stumbled upon this and https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-65302 while working for a client - i'm thinking that i don't want my organization to ever migrate to the cloud version.

Like # people like this
Barbara Szczesniak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 6, 2023

@Angélica Luz, I am using tables to format my content to look like panels. I tried to use panels, but using my image as an emoji is too small for how we want it to look.

I have found that I can insert my image next to text in a table cell, and it will appear on the same line. However, the image file is reattached every time, and I need to set it to be left-aligned with text wrapping on the right and specify the Alt Text every time.

I am trying to reuse my images and settings for them with an _InclusionsLibrary. I have tried to insert my image with both the Include Page macro and the Excerpt Include macro, but these both place the image on a separate line from the text next to it.

Questions:

1. Am I doing something wrong or is the whole concept of reusing content a sham? If the latter, you should update this page in the documentation (https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/use-confluence-for-technical-documentation/), since it states outright that you can use it to place an image in the middle of a paragraph of text. You should also update the pages explaining the Include Page and Excerpt Include macros to say that the content will appear on its own line.
  2. If I place the tables with every one of the 10 images I might use for this purpose on a template (which I just tested, and it works—counter to what it says on this page https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/create-a-template/), I can do the settings on the image in the template, then remove any of the table cells I don't need on each page I make from the template. However, the image files are attached to every new page. Is there any way around this?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events