Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

How to insert a table using text only ?

Hello,

I found a lot of documentation about how to create tables using text in markup and/or markdown but none of those solutions seems to work with me, it just displays the text I put in the editor as-is. I do not have a Insert > Markup ( or markdown ) option.

I want to put a lot of elements into a table without having to put them one by one in each cell.

Can someone tell me how to do that ?

Thanks

2 answers

Hi @jeremy.nancel !

I'm not sure if this is your case, but we have an app which creates tables from CSV and TSV.

Here is an example: https://docs.stiltsoft.com/display/public/TFAC/How+to+use+Table+from+CSV+macro

Maybe it will help.

Hello Katerina,

Thanks for the answer, that's definitely in the right direction but the page you linked only describes how to do it using user interface. I'd like to do it through an API call, meaning no macros, only pushing text through command-line without any user-friendly interface.

Any idea how to do that ?

Thanks

As far as I know, the markup option was disabled in the new Cloud editor (not that we've used it before, cause our users prefer simple UI, but I still came across several complaints).

But you should be able to copy/paste your tables. For example, try this code:

| | mpg| cyl| disp|
|:-----------------|----:|---:|----:|
|Mazda RX4 | 21.0| 6| 160|
|Mazda RX4 Wag | 21.0| 6| 160|
|Datsun 710 | 22.8| 4| 108|
|Hornet 4 Drive | 21.4| 6| 258|
|Hornet Sportabout | 18.7| 8| 360|
|Valiant | 18.1| 6| 225|

And you can't copy/paste it directly to your page from your browser - copy the code to your Notepad at first and only than re-copy it to your Confluence page. Kinda annoying, but it works.

0 votes

Two years+ later and a nooby wonders if converting a list to a table is still not supported in the cloud without a 3rd-party app.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS

Atlassian Community Events