How to incorporate JIRA velocity chart in a confluence page

Djung Tran October 23, 2016

In JIRA I can create a velocity report 

(Instruction: https://confluence.atlassian.com/agile/jira-agile-user-s-guide/using-a-board/using-reports/viewing-the-velocity-chart)

I want to incorporate this report in a confluence page

I could not found any info yet about this subject

Please help

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Andrey Khaneev _StiltSoft_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 24, 2016

Hi Djung,

It is possible to build the same chart in confluence using those macros:

1. JIRA Issues (shipped with Confluence)
  2. Pivot Table (Table Filter and Charts)
  3. Chart from Table (Table Filter and Charts)

In JIRA Issues enter jql for issue you are interested, set fields Resolution and Sprint to display.

Wrap JIRA Issues macro with Pivot Table, set Sprint column in Row Labels parameter and Resolution in Column Labels parameter.

Wrap Pivot Table macro with Chart from Table macro, choose Column chart type, set Count Fixed and Count Unresolved in Values Column parameter.

That's it! Hope I could help you.

Asha Kumari June 5, 2018

This seems like a amazing workaround that can get really close to what I need to put out (Velocity metrics on Confluence). I followed through the steps described but stuck at the final step. When I try to generate the chart, the options that I am getting to choose are only "Count" and "Count Done" which both seem to be same value. Am I missing something?

Like John Kaczala likes this
Deleted user July 19, 2018

I'm not as impressed with this workaround. Velocity is among the  most important metrics any Agile team measures. Two Atlassian products being unable to display this basic information without paying for the Table Filter and Charts plugin is shameful, like hosting a pool party but requiring guests to bring their own water.

Like # people like this
Xiaojing Si August 21, 2018

Yeah, agree with you. Velocity is a very basic thing in jira, but it's hard to insert it into confluence page. Shame. 

Like # people like this
Raghunandan_Sira February 16, 2020

Thanks Andrey. The approach works for me though I had to make a few minor changes to account for the year 2020, which I have bolded.

In JIRA Issues enter jql for issue you are interested, set fields Status, Sprint and Story Points to display.

Wrap JIRA Issues macro with Pivot Table, set Sprint column in Row Labels parameter and Status in Column Labels parameter.

Wrap Pivot Table macro with Chart from Table macro, choose Column chart type, set 'Sum of Story Points Done' in Values Column parameter.

However I could only achieve a view showing completed Story Points trend, but not committed Story Points.  

Yancey Larochelle-Williams January 18, 2024

Has anyone been able to do this using the Jira macro in 2024? It looks like the way tables are rendered has now impacted this workaround.

1 vote
Heather Hale May 25, 2022

Need to be able to do this using native Cloud-based JIRA/Confluence gadgets, etc. My firm isn't buying add-ons.

0 votes
michael sam April 29, 2020

How do i create a velocity gadget I am completely lost, i can see a velocity report but it doesn't have a gadget

Andrey Khaneev _StiltSoft_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 30, 2020

Hi Michael,

Here is an example how to create the velocity chart in Confluence using the Table Filter and Charts app. Find more examples here.

Like ViswanathanR likes this
0 votes
Steve Pinell October 4, 2019

Although my response may not be ideal to the original request (and almost a year later), I have been able to incorporate velocity calculations in Google Sheets which our teams collaboratively use in our Org. We then also via Hyperlink, view the Sprint Reports in JIRA for each sprint (I took them out in this example). The following formulas are how we're calculating capacity:

Formulas for Sprint Velocity Calculator.PNG
This sheet (with formulas) allows us to view velocity Sprint to Sprint (right from the JIRA Velocity Report, which is inputted manually for the time being), and on the right, Metrics are calculated using Google Sheet formulas, including percentage calculations (which are updated automatically as a new row is created) along with some other validation and conditional formatting I did not include on this update.

Maybe this can help you for the time being? We have a direct URL to this sheet from our JIRA projects which simplifies accessibility for us. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events