How to import word file in confluence from desktop folder without any loss

shweta singh November 29, 2021

Dear team,

I am working on documentation using confluence but whenever I have tried to import word file from desktop folder it won't work ,format and pictures distorted. Please guide me how I can use confluence in efficient and effective manner for documentation.

1 answer

2 votes
Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 29, 2021

I have been using Confluence for documentation for nearly a decade. The route I take is to use the PDF plugin from K15t to generate PDFs directly, rather than going to Word. But they also have a Word exporter that I have also used, and it works well.

https://www.k15t.com/software 

shweta singh November 29, 2021

@Bill Bailey  Please elaborate ,confluence has feature to import word file but after using it won't work like distorted format ,no pictures ,wrong indexing ,share your suggestions if you have any to cope up with it and few tips for documentation.

Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 30, 2021

Sorry, I think I misread your question. For import you MUST clean the Word file first:

1. Delete any title page
  2. Delete any ToC, Indexes, etc.
  3. Delete header and footers
  4. Important! Verify that you are using the builtin formats, like Heading 1, Heading 2, etc. If the source doc was manually formatted, you will have to reformat it correctly.

ONCE you have imported the document, if you DONT have returns between paragaphs, you will need to edit the page source (need the page storage code editor), then use Regex to replace <br> with </p></p>, and the clean out span tags that have manual formatting. 

Then you will finally be able to go through the page to manually clean it up.

Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 30, 2021

Also, let me refer you to this in-depth article:

Michelle-s-quot-Five-Stages-of-Word-Import-quot-Survival-Guide 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events