How to import a space with a modified xml file?

Deleted user March 5, 2020

Goal:

---------------

We have renamed terms in our company. Those words needs to be replaced thousands of times through our documentation. 

Actions:

---------------

I am trying to:

- export a copy of a space.

- unzip and open the entities.xml file 

- find and replace the necessary words

- save the file and zip the folder. 

- delete the old space

- import a space by uploading the zip with the modified xml file.

Problem:

---------------

I get an error:

There was an error during import. Please see our guide to raising a bug report.

Issue:

---------------

I read that you can't re-zip a file to upload a space. How do I import my space with the modified .xml file?

Resource:

---------------

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confcloud/import-a-confluence-space-724765531.html

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/how-to-copy-or-rename-a-space-in-confluence-169578.html

1 answer

0 votes
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 25, 2021

Hi Rob,

The issue is that you delete the old space and the system may keep the same key.  Have you tried importing it with a different space key?

Regards

Deleted user January 3, 2022

Hi Fabian,

Thank you very much for the reply.

As this was a while ago we (I) just went thought about 800 pages manually and made the change with find/replace. Got to listen to a lot of Spotify. 

The first issue I am wondering about with the idea of changing the space key is that that will also change the URL... which will break every existing link. Even if there was a way to keep all the links in Confluence working correctly, it would most certainly break links that are not on Confluence.   

The overall goal is we were looking for a way to replace a term throughout an entire space in a way that 1) does not take so much time doing it manually page by page and 2) does not require a paid plug-in. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events