How to i get the Calendar not to default to TODAY?

Krista_McGruder April 14, 2020

So I figured out how to add in and edit a calendar. But I don't want the view to default to today or even this month. I want the calendar to default to say, next month, so the user can see what's ahead without having to scroll. How can I do that? This should be easy but I can't find the answer. thanks.

2 answers

1 vote
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 24, 2020

Hi Krista,

Could you clarify for me which calendar feature you're referring to? There's a Date Macro, but also an add-on created by Atlassian for purchase, called Team Calendars for Confluence

The Date Macro is included with Confluence, and you can insert it into a page by typing //. This is how it looks in the editor below:

CleanShot 2020-04-24 at 15.08.18.png

Once you select a date, it will appear as a lozenge, like this: 

CleanShot 2020-04-24 at 15.09.29.png

The other option is Team Calendars, and this is what adds calendar functionality to Confluence. I ask, since I remember you want to avoid using additional add-ons, so I want to be clear which one you're referring to.

Since the base functionality doesn't provide an actual calendar, the information I am going to provide you is based on Team Calendars, but please let me know if that's not right!

In Team Calendars, you can embed individual calendars on a page, but it's not possible to have that calendar default on a specific date. You can determine the default view (week, month, list, etc.) but today's date will always be the highlighted date.

If that doesn't work for you, you can always embed 3rd-party calendars into your pages by using the HTML Macro (for example, with Google Calendar, this would work.)

I hope that helps!

Shannon

Krista_McGruder April 24, 2020

I know how to use the current deployed Confluence calendar. I just don't like the look and feel and not being able to default to the day I wish (in the future) is a dumb failing. We can't buy things and can't install Google. We have to use what Confluence provides us at our firm due to, largely security concerns but pricing is also a factor. Am ever more convinced this tool is again, only a place where artifacts go to die. I plan on spreading the word.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 24, 2020

Hi Krista,

I just wanted to confirm that you were using the paid add-on and not the built-in functionality. Thank you for confirming that. 

It's a shame that your firm has locked down so much of your usage of Confluence. There are truly lots of great ways you can customize and use Confluence, but it does require the approval of your site administrator for security reasons, and for the stability of the site.

If you do have any further questions or problems, please do let me know, I'm happy to help you, in whichever way I can!

Best regards,

Shannon

Like Darline Auguste likes this
정원일 February 27, 2022

I have the same needs, on the team confluence space which has two calendars. I want to make the second calendar show the next month's schedule by default. How could I get it?

It will be very helpful to our team members in reducing the hassles.
Please give me a chance to get out of the dark hole with your experience and knowledge.

Thanks.

Falcon Jeong.

calendar.JPG

0 votes
Terrence Yee_Amazon Games_
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 11, 2024

Years later but yes, I wish I could have the Calendar default to the first or current day's event in it.  Sometimes we work months in advance and I'd rather the users not have to Right Arrow click until they reach the first event.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events