How to have Confluence Knowledgebase pages referenced in Jira tickets

Ryan Penning October 30, 2019

Hi all,

I've started the journey of building our company Knowledgebase in Confluence so that we can solve some process issues.

However, I can't seem to find the right way to link specific or reference Confluence Pages easily in Jira tickets I created. I don't want to have to copy the URL of Confluence Pages and have them displayed in the summary as a hyperlink.

Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

Thanks,

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Poorvi Jhawar
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 30, 2019

Hi Ryan 

You can include the Jira issue as a macro on the relevant confluence page.

This is how it would look in confluence

Screen Shot 2019-10-31 at 5.04.41 PM.png

This is how it would look in Jira

Screen Shot 2019-10-31 at 5.07.43 PM.png

This is how you can do it:

Screen Shot 2019-10-31 at 5.09.31 PM.png

Cheers

Poorvi 

Hi @Poorvi Jhawar !

Thanks for the response, now this might be a silly question but what should come first? The confluence document or the Jira issue? One can't really exist without the other.

Regards,

Ryan

Poorvi Jhawar
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 30, 2019

Hi @Ryan Penning 

No silly questions! :)

So first would be the confluence page and you can link an existing Jira issue or create a new one from Confluence itself. 

One can certainly exist without the other, you can choose to remove the Jira issue from the page, and it'll unlink but will still exist - the Issue in Jira and page in Confluence

Let me know how you go. 

Cheers

Poorvi

Hi @Poorvi Jhawar 

Thanks for that explanation your process seems to work on my end :)

Would there be a way to reference an already existing Confluence Page while creating or editing a Jira issue, without having to create the Jira issue in Confluence?

Lets say I have a particular page on Confluence that has some useful information that I'd like someone on Jira to be aware of, how can I reference it in the Jira issue without having to reference it in Confluence - I guess what I'm trying to avoid here is having a useful page on confluence that gets reference in all our projects in the company, but will then have to create the ticket within the Confluence page just so people can have it referenced in the Jira ticket.

Regards,

Ryan

Poorvi Jhawar
Marketplace Partner
October 31, 2019

Hi @Ryan Penning 

So from what I understand is that you want to include an existing Jira issue to the confluence page? 

You can follow the above steps and instead of creating a new ticket in Jira. You can multiple Jira issues. 

Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 8.55.57 AM.png

Hope this answers your question :)

Cheers

Poorvi

Ryan Penning October 31, 2019

Hi @Poorvi Jhawar

Thank you for the much needed help on this I appreciate how helpful you’ve been!

However I’m looking for the reverse of what you suggested. How can I do exactly what you’ve shown above without having to open Confluence. But instead filter or search for a Confluence page IN Jira WHILE creating or editing a ticket IN Jira.

Regards,

- Ryan

Poorvi Jhawar
Marketplace Partner
October 31, 2019

Hi @Ryan Penning 

Got it!

It is the same place where you can link issues in Jira. 

Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 11.16.32 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-11-01 at 11.16.51 AM.png

Also Ryan, if you're happy with this could you mark my answer as accepted? 

Cheers

Poorvi

Ryan Penning October 31, 2019

Hi @Poorvi Jhawar 

Thank you so much yes this is exactly what I was wanting!.

Thanks,

- Ryan

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events