How to handle export / import of huge space?

Pavel Boev August 25, 2017

Hello,

We want to consolidate two Confluence servers, but I am having problems with one of the spaces on the source server.

The space is awfully big (from my perspective) with more than 10K pages in it.

The export zip is 24 GB.

When I try to import it (after downloading the file for hours) the import fails with all kinds of errors - Out of Memory, Value too long (apparently some inline comments contain special characters and when exported, exceed the 255 boundary for some text columns), etc.

Even if I can go back to the source space, fix some of the errors, export and try again, it takes a lot of time.

Exporting alone takes > 2hours, downloading the zip takes a lot of time too, importing it takes 1 hour or more.

Has anyone faced similar situations?

Are there some tricks to reduce the size of the exported file?

Can I do several exports / imports of parts of the space?

In general are there any recommendations for the optimal space size / structure and at what time one should consider splitting a space into multiple smaller spaces?

2 answers

0 votes
Tim Krauthoff December 5, 2019

Have you found a way? i am facing similar issues with movement from one cloud instance to another cloud instance (trying to mirror our instance to another one). If i do a selected export i can not import the "parts" because then the confluence project # already exists. Our export is just 8GB however there is a failure when i import it in the new instance. It is shown as completely blank! No pages, no attachements etc. 

Hugo Navia April 30, 2020

I believe it shows like that because you haven't performed a reindex.

It happened to me that importing a space did not showed any attachments until the reindex completed.

0 votes
Pavel Potcheptsov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2017

Go to admin/backup.action

and follow Restore a backup from the Confluence Home Directory.

You have to copy your backup zip to path mentonied in above section, usually /var/atlassian/application-data/confluence/restore.

Uncheck Build Index and press Restore after choosing your zip.

Pavel Boev August 25, 2017

I know how to do the import of a space.

I am wondering if there are any special hints for big spaces.

I understand that copying the exported file from the source Confluence's application-data/export directory to the target Confluence's application-data/import directory will save some time.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events