How to handle export / import of huge space?

Hello,

We want to consolidate two Confluence servers, but I am having problems with one of the spaces on the source server.

The space is awfully big (from my perspective) with more than 10K pages in it.

The export zip is 24 GB.

When I try to import it (after downloading the file for hours) the import fails with all kinds of errors - Out of Memory, Value too long (apparently some inline comments contain special characters and when exported, exceed the 255 boundary for some text columns), etc.

Even if I can go back to the source space, fix some of the errors, export and try again, it takes a lot of time.

Exporting alone takes > 2hours, downloading the zip takes a lot of time too, importing it takes 1 hour or more.

Has anyone faced similar situations?

Are there some tricks to reduce the size of the exported file?

Can I do several exports / imports of parts of the space?

In general are there any recommendations for the optimal space size / structure and at what time one should consider splitting a space into multiple smaller spaces?

1 answer

Go to admin/backup.action

and follow Restore a backup from the Confluence Home Directory.

You have to copy your backup zip to path mentonied in above section, usually /var/atlassian/application-data/confluence/restore.

Uncheck Build Index and press Restore after choosing your zip.

I know how to do the import of a space.

I am wondering if there are any special hints for big spaces.

I understand that copying the exported file from the source Confluence's application-data/export directory to the target Confluence's application-data/import directory will save some time.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Jul 10, 2018 in Confluence

We want to see the templates you've created in Confluence!

Hi Community, Jessica here from the Confluence Product Marketing team!  July’s community challenge is all about sharing pictures  — and as an extension of our first post on what ...

974 views 23 12
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you