How to get the confluence docker container to return a constant server id

Alec Keeler February 8, 2019

I'm trying to create a docker stack using a docker-compose file to run confluence, postgresql and phppgadmin in separate containers

At the moment this is just a trial, but the end goal is to be able to have docker launch a production suite of containers running confluence, jira and jira service desk (using the same shared postgres container as the DB) for my Companies introduction of Confluence/Jira/Service desk.

So far I have created docker volumes that allow me to persist the DB files and confluence configuration, but have an issue with the confluence licence.

Each time I restart the stack (using docker-compose up), a new confluence container is created that has a different server id that means a new confluence licence has to be requested

Now I'm new to docker, so maybe I'm using docker-compose incorrectly, but has anyone got a suggestion to enable the stack to be stopped and restarted without having to ask for a new trial licence each time ? Is the server id generated from anything that can be kept constant within docker e.g. network MAC addresses, so the server id remains constant and hence the original licence is still applicable.

Alec

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 12, 2019

Alec,

The server ID for Confluence is persisted in the database and is unique to the installation.

As long as you can get the Docker image to use the same database each time then it shouldn't change. The fact that you're creating a new Confluence container each time is what is causing your issue.

Therefore, I would recommend you look into how to simply start the existing container so you can use the same server ID each time. Otherwise yes, it would generate a new server ID.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events