How to get started with calling Rest APIs for wiki confluence 3.5?

I've to create a script for calling Rest API for automating tasks for Wiki Confluence 3.5.

How should I start? I read the content on getting started with SDK but it leads to starting JIRA server using following command:

atals-run-standalone - product JIRA.

Please give directions on how to start.

1 answer

Is your problem about starting the product, or about getting documentation about the REST apis? I'll answer about the REST apis:

If you could upgrade your version of Confluence*, you could download the REST API Browser plugin from the Atlassian Marketplace and install it in Confluence, and you'd get all the REST documentation easily.

Since you probably can't upgrade Confluence:

• Download the source code of Confluence 3.5 from https://my.atlassian.com. If you've paid for a license ($10), you can access it.
  • Search for files which contain the text "javax.ws.rs". Those files describe Jersey resources which define the APIs of REST services. You need to be familiar with Java and Jersey to understand them.
  • REST APIs are deployed at {baseUrl}/rest/{key}/{version}/path..., where:
    • {baseUrl} is the full base URL of Confluence including the context path, e.g. http://confluence:1990/confluence
    • {key} is the key of the module in atlassian-plugin.xml, if the resource was defined in a plugin.
    • {version} is the version of the same module in atlassian-plugin.xml.
    • /path is the annotation in the Java class, such as @Path("/path").

Honestly, I wouldn't undertake such a task without first upgrading Confluence. Keeping all systems up to the latest version is pretty important when a company wants full support and best-of-the-class tools.

* Upgrading from Confluence 3.5 to 5.9 is a big change, in terms of user habits and data migration, but it's worth it.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

2,476 views 25 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you