How to find the usage of an Confluence add-on

Dirk Bromberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 2, 2015

Hi,

we use Confluence with many add-ons and now we want to know if a specific addon is used anymore and where. (for edit / macro providing addons...)

Is there a way to do this? (by database...) 

We use Confluence 5.8

Regards,

Dirk

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 2, 2015

There's two parts to this.

First, you simply can't do it for addons.  Addons provide functionality and you can't search for that.  Think of it this way - if I wrote an addon that adds a button that just says "hello world" on the menu and pops up a picture of a random kitten when pressed - how do you know how that is used?  There's nothing in the database for you to search for.

Secondly, you can do it for macros, but...

Reading the database is by far the hardest way to do this.  You can use multiple different macros in the body of a page, and those are stored as xml, so SQL isn't going to help you much - you'll be able to find pages where each macro is used quite easily, but you're going to have to query for every macro individually, and parse the xml for it.

Confluence search does allow you to do it more easily, although you still need to do it for every macro - the term macroName:note will find every where you've used the note macro for example.

Your best option is therefore to do it in Confluence where you can use the API.  See @Davin Studer 's answer on https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/155280 for what I'd do.

Pranesha Bunsee November 5, 2019

Hello Nic

The link you shared in your answer is broken. Please advise where I can get the info.

Thanks
Pranesha

Like Eiichi Kitagawa likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events