How to find pages in Confluence space with no label

stuartu October 21, 2014

We have a Confluence space with ~200 pages that are categorized into 7 types of labels.

In order that I don't miss any new ones,... is there an easy way to find pages with no labels in a space?

Our Confluence is not managed by us (or Atlassian), so we can't update the database directly.  Any plug-in would have to be free.

4 answers

4 votes
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 22, 2014

@Stephen Deutsch answer is a good one. If you get more labels that could be problematic. I think this should work for any number of labels.

type:page NOT labelText:[a TO z] NOT labelText:[0 TO 9]
Shawn Wilson August 14, 2017

This does not work for me.

• "labelText:faq" gives me the correct pages.
  • "NOT labelText:faq" gives me the same pages
  • "-labelText:faq" gives me the same pages.
  • "labelText:[a TO z] correctly gives me all pages with labels
  • "NOT labelText:[a TO z] also gives me all pages with labels
  • "type:page" gives me all the pages with "page" in them.
  • "type:page NOT labelText:[a TO z]" gives me all pages with "page" -- but those with no labels.

I'm using Confluence 6.3. (I don't think it's the cloud version).

Like Nandini Sen likes this
Richard Cross February 28, 2019

I think it's the same issue as with JQL, you can't negate label searches unless you negate each label individually.

Niklas Klein November 4, 2020

I am searching for pages without some specific values. Had the same problems as Shawn. For me

type:page AND [a TO z] NOT labelText:SpeLabel1 AND NOT labelText:SpeLabel2 AND NOT labelText:SpeLabel3

worked. (just search for pages, using the a TO Z to find all pages and then excluding them by label)

2 votes
Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2014

If you only have seven labels on your space that you want to filter, you could at least search for pages without those seven labels.  Simply use this search term (example is for 3 labels, but you could use it for more):

(type:page NOT labelText:"label1") AND (type:page NOT labelText:"label2") AND (type:page NOT labelText:"label3")

Simply copy and paste from the last "AND" until the end to add a new label to the search.  You can filter by space on the left-hand side of the search page.

Dennis October 17, 2019

Thanks for this fix, Stephen! This was a big help!

1 vote
Daren Chung October 21, 2014

More likely than not, you could have Atlassian run a query for you.  My experience has led me to believe this is otherwise not possible with the tools provided by Atlassian.

0 votes
stuartu October 21, 2014

Atlassian do not administer our Confluence, but yes, I see your point.  We could request a report.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events