How to estimate effort to migrate confluence server to cloud?

Marcela Junyent
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 10, 2020

How to estimate effort to migrate confluence server to cloud?

2 answers

0 votes
Artem Fomin - DevOps Action
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2020

There is no generic answer. The effort can only be estimated after a thorough assessment.

- What is your Server instance size? What is the footprint of attachments?

- Are there incompatible add-ons? APIs are different between Cloud and Server, so some workflow entities may be broken after migration. So, if your Server instance is heavily customized, fixing the workflows might be rather time consuming. Some add-on data may need to be migrated separately.

- What is your plan for user management? Are you planning to use Atlassian Access? SSO? What's the plan for duplicate user emails?

- What is your plan for third party integrations? Slack? PagerDuty? Salesforce? Any apps on a private network behind a firewall that may need to be accessible.

Some vanilla instances can be migrated within a couple of hours, but in many cases a simple import may not be sufficient. Atlassian Support will provide guidance and help you migrate, but in many cases you will still want experts to assess the risks and map out the migration plan.

0 votes
Malka November 11, 2020

Talk to a rep is the best way, but let me share our story. We ported about 15 projects in Jira and 35 spaces in Confluence from Server to Cloud. We spent two months deciding our plan. We decided how far back to bring over (6 month of history and all active work in Jira, all of Confluence). We decided to scrape and purge all PMI for HIPAA reasons. We decided to do this on a weekend. 

We did a test run of a small Jira project and a large Jira project. We did the math. 

****** GO TIME ******

We started on Sunday morning, we were ported in a couple of hours. 

Workflows and Permissions had been created on template projects during the planning period beforehand and then we just applied them to all the projected as we brought them in. 

We were up and running Monday morning with a few tweaks as we got users in the office.

Marcela Junyent
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 11, 2020

Thanks. Thats what I want real cases times, problems, and experiences.

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2020

Wow, that is a tough one. Especially because every instance is invididual and so many more variables come into play like "do I have to do it on my own?", "can I use the resources of an external partner". But also technical questions like: "do we have many Apps?" and if so "are there migration paths?".

The first point to get started might be the Cloud Migration resource at atlassian.com

There is also a good video on this topic in case you want to watch.

I know, this is not a very extensive answer - but the topic is something a lot could be said about.

In case of furher question I am sure Community is happy to assist, also.

Like Marcela Junyent likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events