How to enable Spell Check?

Madison.Luu March 5, 2020

Hello, 

Spell check is disabled on my pages.  How do I enable the functionality. 

Thank you. 

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 6, 2020

Hi Madison, welcome to the Community!

Confluence Cloud doesn't have a native spellchecker. We rely on the native browser spellchecker - here's some info about the built-in spellchecker for various browsers:

Do you notice spellcheck working on other sites, for example, here in Community? If not, sounds like the spellcheck in your browser may have become disabled.

Cheers,
Daniel

For answer completeness, I'll mention that there is an addon in the marketplace for spellcheck in Confluence Server. I see that you're on Cloud, but this might be useful for someone on Server hitting this question from Google.

Ajith Antony February 26, 2022

As of this moment, there is no textbox element for the browser to spellcheck.   You have a custom dymanic HTML tree of elements inside a div.   

Like # people like this
ash May 26, 2022

yes it never spell checks - causing loss of time 

Like # people like this
Luis Ferro May 29, 2022

I wonder why this answer is accepted, when it's obviously still broken.

The HTML on confluence is broken and not compatible with industry standard spell checking (textbox).

Like # people like this
Arthur Mack
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 25, 2022

Not broken here. Works fine in chrome with confluence cloud.

Jonathan Barrett September 28, 2023

Doesn't work for me as well. I even tried using a plugin to help it along, but no dice. I switched to google docs. Couldn't take the loss of time anymore. 

Like # people like this
terry_s
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 19, 2023

I also have same issue in Chrome..

Like Jamie Kitson likes this
9 votes
Luis Ferro November 11, 2020

The problem still happens with Firefox 82.0.

Spellchecking is active and works on other sites but not on confluence.

My guess is that the "text-area" that is in use by confluence (and jira), is not a standard text UI element, but a JS driven html tag (div / span / etc), and this makes the spellchecking not working as expected (perhaps is working on the hidden "text-area" html element that is used as a proxy to hold the input).

Definitivelly not a Firefox or a configuration issue, and previous reports of this issue start at 6 years ago (perhaps when Atlassian changed the way the text areas worked?).

Craig Hammitt February 8, 2021

Agree - spell check works fine for me in all browsers (Chrome/FireFox/Edge) on other sites but not for Jira and Confluence text fields - therefore it is something to do with the way they are configured.  Please change this, as addons are not an option for many...

Like # people like this
Giessel Razavi July 16, 2021

same issue here!

Like # people like this
Johannes Straßer February 10, 2022

The same issue is still present in 2022 (tested in Edge)

Ajith Antony February 26, 2022

Yes, very obnoxious.   Dev tools inspector shows that this is NOT A TEXT AREA.  The jira comment box is a div with "role =textbox", and the text I type appears as HTML elements like <p> elements

Like # people like this
Arthur Mack
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 25, 2022

Its weird its not working for all you people. I am a Chrome user and have never had an issue with the spellchecker not working. Since some people were having issues in Firefox I logged into Firefox and tried it and it works there for me as well

firefox.png

@Luis Ferro 

5 votes
Will Hawkins July 5, 2022

Seems odd that a company of this size cannot resolve a simple textbox flag...

We should not need a plugin for something as simple as a spell checker in 2022

Johannes Straßer July 5, 2022

At this point, it has become more likely that they do not want to have this functionality than that they cannot have this functionality...

Will Hawkins July 5, 2022

I, like many have become over reliant on spell checker.

Come on Atlassian!

Like Mark Slyman likes this
0 votes
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 6, 2020

Hello!

Cutting straight to the chase, Confluence does not have a spellchecker natively. The possibilities I can see are these:

1. We are using the browser native spellchecker and for some reason, it stopped working
  2. We have a plugin that allows us to have the spellchecking powers in Confluence

If you happen to use Grammarly, there is a feature request connected to this browser plugin:

The plugin for spellchecking, however, is available solely for Confluence Server. For anyone on the server platform, you can check this on the plugin pages:

In case you are using the browser’s spellchecker, you can check here for guidance with the feature for Firefox and chrome:

I hope this helps you out @Madison.Luu ! Let us hear from you.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Not Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events