Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to enable New Relic RUM on Confluence

M.R. van Kleef August 18, 2013

I want to use New Relic on Confluence to get user statistics. However, I don't know how to enable Real User Monitoring (RUM).

Auto instrumentation didn't work, so I tried a manual installation. To enable Confluence to use the Java Agent API I copied the newrelic-api.jar to my confluence/WEB-INF/lib folder.

According to the New Relic documentation I have to add some HTML-code to Confluence, but where should I do this?

I'm using Confluence 4.2.1 running on a Ubuntu server.

Michiel

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
M.R. van Kleef August 20, 2013

I also contacted New Relic for this problem.
RUM is currently not supported for Confluence pages. Maybe they will develop a plugin to add RUM-tags.
You can use New Relic only for server monitoring to get data about CPU usage, phsyical memory, etc.

1 vote
saint January 22, 2014

Here is a simple instruction howto add NewRelic Real User Monitoring to Confluence.

1. Download NewRelic agent lib: newrelic_agent3.3.2.zip
  2. Unzip it to confluence/install dir
  3. add line(change <FULL_PATH> to real path) to file confluence/install/bin/catalina.sh
    export JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -javaagent:&lt;FULL_PATH&gt;/confluence/install/newrelic/newrelic.jar"

4. Change NewRelic configuration file newrelic.yml:
    1. Insert your license_key:
      license_key: &lt;key&gt;
    2. Change app name:
      app_name: &lt;app_name&gt;
    3. Disable Real User Monitoring auto instrumentation:
      browser_monitoring:
        auto_instrument: false
  5. Restart Confluence
  6. Create a plugin in order to add $NewRelic to Confluence velocity context:
    1. Create atlassian-plugin.xml:
      &lt;atlassian-plugin name="NewRelic" key="confluence.new.relic"&gt;
      &lt;plugin-info&gt;
          &lt;description&gt;
            Plugin to add NewRelic RUM.
          &lt;/description&gt;
          &lt;!-- This version is displayed in the application's Plugin Manager. --&gt;
          &lt;version&gt;1.0&lt;/version&gt;
        &lt;/plugin-info&gt;
          &lt;velocity-context-item key="NewRelic"
                name="NewRelic" context-key="NewRelic"
                class="com.newrelic.api.agent.NewRelic" /&gt;
      &lt;/atlassian-plugin&gt;
    2. Name xml above as "atlassian-plugin.xml"
    3. zip (the only file) it into .jar file (for example newrelic.jar) and install it as a usual plugin using Confluense Admin->Plugins
  7. Add NewRelic to confluence templates:
    1. go to confluence/install/confluence/decorators/includes
    2. In header.vm after meta tags add lines:
      #set($relicWithHtml = $NewRelic.getBrowserTimingHeader())
      $relicWithHtml

3. In footer.vm add lines
      #set($relicFooterWithHtml = $NewRelic.getBrowserTimingFooter())
      $relicFooterWithHtml

8. Cear confluence Pages cache: Admin->Cache Statistics: Pages flush
  9. Done
Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 5, 2014

I am wondering how is possible to obtain the same via a plugin, so it would not need to touch the Confluence files.

@Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix) You could try New Relic for Atlassian Confluence -- https://www.appfusions.com/display/NEWRELICCONF/Home -- from AppFusions

Khuong Vu October 14, 2015

@Marcin Mierzejewski Thank you. I follow your instructions, and it works on my first try.  I am using Confluence 5.7, running on Red Hat 6.7, MySQL 5.5.

0 votes
Karthi April 12, 2017

Hi all,

We can add NewRelic script directly to the header.vm and footer.vm. Why we are injecting NewRelic script through plugin ?

Is there anything need to consider while pasting New Relic script directly to the velocity template?

0 votes

AppFusions has a New Relic for Atlassian Confluence add-on which makes this setup and configuration much easier.

Raju Adluru March 30, 2016

@David Simpson v4.0, i tried to upload the above plugin to Confluence v5.9.7, i am getting error in UI

"An error occurred during installation. Refer to the logs for more information."

and in logs:

2016-03-30 11:20:16,074 WARN [UpmAsynchronousTaskManager:thread-4] [upm.core.install.DefaultPluginInstallationService] execute Plugin installation failed: Failed to resolve plugin dependencies within OBR [plugin_319211194046483372_newrelic-conf-1.0.0.obr]. Please see the logs for more detailed information.
-- url: /rest/plugins/1.0/ | referer: https://confluence.xxxxxxx.net/plugins/servlet/upm | userName: xxxxx

Can you please check and update the plugin and help me to resolve this issue.

thanks

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events