How to embed glb / gltf into a Confluence page?

Ich Will September 12, 2020

Hi all,

in our company, all PCs have been update to Windows10 since a couple of months.

There is a small program "3D Viewer" with which you can watch animated 3D files. A file type with animation is the .gltf or .glb

We've created a couple of smaller technical animations, where users can watch processes step by step in different angles. These animations were created with Blender 2.83.5 and exported as gltf 2.0 files.

The sales management would like to see these technical animations embedded in our Confluence (we're using version 6.12, I believe) pages.

There are quite some 3D viewers which can embed a glb file to a HTML page.

Concerning the browsers, only Chrome seems to offer an add-on for gltf files - but I don't know if this helps embed an animation inot a Confluence page.

Any clues/hints are highly appreciated.

Kind regards

Dan

2 answers

0 votes
kemobetter August 30, 2022

You can also try looking for appropriate extensions for the Opera browser. They should have something about .glb / .gltf. Or you can also try to find external file readers like there are PDF readers. I mostly use an external online Blender Render Farm for my rendering needs. I do not have to render that much, and that’s why I see no sense in using my PC for that. This task will be too hard, and I am afraid it will not manage the rendering of some more complex models. It also saves me tons of time I can use for developing other projects or just resting. Glad there are such services because I would love too much time in vain otherwise.

0 votes
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 14, 2020

Hello @Ich Will !

As I understand, you need to insert .GLB and .GLTF files in Confluence.

Right of the bat, I can tell you that this is not possible natively in Confluence.

We do, however, have a plugin in our marketplace that works with Sketchfab.

According to Sketchfab support page, both .GLB and .GLTF file formats are recommended to be used with their tool:

Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 15.38.09.png

Here is their page:

Here the link to our addon in the marketplace:

I hope that this fits your usage!

Let us hear from you.

Ich Will September 14, 2020

Thank you, @Diego for your suggestion.

This would mean that we host our 3d models in Sketchfab, as to my understanding. Possibly also meaning an additional license fee is required.

I'd have to check that, but I am sure company policy is not to host our files elsewhere.

Kind regards

Oliver Boardman July 7, 2021

I am currently going through the same issue. In Sketchfab you can store your models there and restrict access only to someone with the link, or someone with the link (Password protected). But it seems using this method doesn't allow you to embed the files in your confluence page, it basically just links to the file within Sketchfab to view from there. Not ideal

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events