How to embed a Google Groups in a Confluence space ?

Ludovic MOTTINI April 3, 2019

To get some kind of free forum, I was hoping to embed a Google Groups in a Confluence page so my users could see it and discuss without leaving Confluence.

I tried the iframe macro but the frame keeps showing a blank page.

I am using Confluence Cloud

An idea ?

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 5, 2019

Hello Ludovic,

Thank you for reaching out to us! Happy to help you determine why your site isn't showing up in the iFrame Macro.

Per the iFrame Macro documentation

Some websites may show up as blank when you try to include them as part of an iFrame. This could be because:

• The website administrators have invoked the x-frame-options response header to prevent browsers from rendering it in an iFrame.
  • The browser you're using has blocked the website from loading as a security precaution.

As a test, they recommend that you try replacing http:// with https:// at the start of the URL. Could you give that a try?

Regards,

Shannon

Ludovic MOTTINI April 5, 2019

Hi Shannon, thank you for your help. I tried. Same thing.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 9, 2019

Ludovic,

I tested on my own end and I received an error. I assume this is the same you are seeing?

Screenshot 2019-04-09 at 14.55.17.png

It may require additional settings in order to embed. I'm not too familiar with Google Groups, but let's try something.

Can you go to click on Manage group and then scroll to the bottom where it says Embedding your group, obtain the embed code from there, and try to embed it using the HTML macro

Let me know how that goes.

Regards,

Shannon

fwoon February 4, 2020

FYI the section of code under the 'Embedding your group' works. You can simply copy and paste that into a HTML macro.

HOWEVER confluence 7 server totally removed HTML macro so you will need to create your own variant of HTML macro which is quite simple.

Like Shannon S likes this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
February 5, 2020

Hi @fwoon,

Thank you for letting us know how you were able to embed your group into your Confluence site.

I am curious about what you said, however. We haven't removed HTML macro from Confluence server, nor am I aware of any plans to. As of Confluence 7.3, the HTML macro is an available macro. It's also not mentioned to be removed on our End of Support Announcements page. Can you let me know where you found that information? 

I tested and have successfully enabled HTML macro on my Confluence 7.2.1 site.

If you want to enable the HTML Macro:

The HTML macro is disabled by default. You'll need Confluence Administrator or System Administrator permissions to enable this macro.

(warning) Enabling these macros can make your Confluence site vulnerable to cross-site scripting attacks. You should only turn on these macros if you trust all your users not to attempt to exploit them. We strongly recommend leaving this macro disabled if you allow self-signed up or anonymous users to create content.

To enable the HTML macro:

1. Go to  > Manage apps.

2. Select System from the drop down and search for the Confluence HTML Macros system app.
  3. Expand the listing and enable the html (html-xhtml)  module.

Can you confirm if you're able to turn that on in your Confluence site? 

Thank you!

Regards,

Shannon

fwoon February 5, 2020

Thanks Shannon! I didn't realize it was disabled by default and thought it was simply removed.

I will test this out once i have the chance soon!

Like Shannon S likes this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
February 5, 2020

Thank you for letting me know @fwoon! I'll await your response. :) 

Shannon 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events