It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to edit the Space Key assigned to a Space?

I understand that when Adding a space, there is a field where a Space Key (an abbreviation of the Space Name that can be used in macros, etc...) can be defined. However, I'm unable to find a way where this key can be changed - or added, if one was not assigned when the space was created. The Space Admin page doesn't have it. Thanks for any help!

5 answers

1 accepted

You cannot change the spaceKey once it has been created, but there is a workaround...

1. Use the Copy Space plugin to create a duplicate space with the correct spaceKey defined.
  2. Delete the original space

When you go to the Space Admin console, the key is in the url. You will see key=. The key is also listed on the Advanced tab under Space Details.

Regards,

Kay

As far as I know you can't edit the space key after creating the space. Adding a key should be irrelevant since you have to enter a key upon space creation.

Cheers

Christian

Thanks, Christian... you're right about "adding" a key - I forgot it was required to have a key... However, then the question becomes, how does one know what the key is for a space, since it doesn't appear on the Space Admin page...?

Like Jeremy_James likes this

Hi Christian.

If you go to Space Admin and then click on the Advanced tab you will be able to see the Space Key.

You can use this to change the space key.

Copy the space with this plugin. While copying the space you'll be prompted to type in the name of the space and space key. After changing those, export the space you copied with the new space key and import it to the confluence instance you want.

Download the Copy Space for Confluence plugin and install it

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/212/copy-space-for-confluence?hosting=server&tab=overview

For manual installation;

Administration > Global configuration > Manage add-ons > Upload add-on > browse (select the jar file you downloaded) > Upload

To use plugin;

Spaces > Space directory > click on the space you want > Space tools > Content Tools > Apps > type in new space name and key (you can check the boxes to copy the options specified) > Save

Your Space Directory should have your copied  space with the new name and space key. Now you can delete the space with the old name.

That's a great idea.

But is there a way for confluence cloud?

Thanks.

Confluence Cloud already has the copy space plugin so all you need to do is go to the space you want to rename or change the space key, click on Space Settings > Copy Space > fill in the new Space Name and Space Key > click on Copy (ensure all copy options are checked). Confirm that you have a space with the new space name or space key then delete the old space. 

I have tried, and all comment will lost.

Attachments are also lost..

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Confluence

What project did you transition or start on Confluence with the shift to remote work?

It’s been great to hear from fellow users over the last few weeks about the best tips and fun moments you’ve had working on Confluence since the transition to working remote. I’d love to keep the c...

157 views 3 8
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you