Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to easily create a nested list when in a list

Jonathan Lamarre August 31, 2022

My company recently switched to confluence online instead of on their servers and I have some difficulties to find back this feature. When doing a list, how to easily do a nested list ?

Let's say I have a bullet list, like this one

• Item 1
  • Item 2

How do I insert a nested list under, let's say, Item 1 ? Before there were 2 buttons, "Left indent" to diminish the level of a list and "Right indent" to increase it. I do not find these buttons anymore.

The workaround I found is to manually insert a list when under a list, but it does seem to me a lot of clicks for a relatively simple and common operation, and I still need to do some copy/paste when writing items and wanting to change their indentation level on the fly.

Surely there must be a shortcut or some buttons I don't see. What are they ?

Thank you.

2 answers

2 votes
Kianna September 7, 2022

Hi! 

Is this what you're after?

Screenshot 2022-09-07 at 13.16.20.png

If so, you can achieve this by doing the following (note that I'm on macOS):

1. In the description/text box create the first line of your list (select which type of list you would like to use from the menu at the top of the box).
  2. Next, press the 'Enter' key.
    • This will give you a line which looks like this:
      Screenshot 2022-09-07 at 13.22.34.png
  3. Without typing anything, press the 'Tab' key.
    • This will give you an indented bullet point:
      Screenshot 2022-09-07 at 13.24.17.png
  4. You can change the nested bullet point types using the menu at the top of the description/text box while the line (see image above) is still selected, either before or after you've finished typing.
    For example, say you wanted a numbered list with nested bullet points instead:
    Screenshot 2022-09-07 at 13.40.37.png
  5. To escape the indented list, use 'Shift' + 'Tab'; this will take you to the top level of bullet points.
  6. You can repeat step 3 to create as many levels of nested bullet points as you wish:
    Screenshot 2022-09-07 at 13.27.12.png

I hope this helps!

Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 7, 2022

This is amazing! How did I never try this?! Thank you @Kianna

tenor-176088428.gif

Like Olga Svyryd likes this
0 votes
Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 1, 2022

Hi @Jonathan Lamarre

I believe this is a current limitation of Confluence Cloud, but I found this question where an Atlassian support rep was talking about nested lists, so I’ve asked there.

Let’s see what they say! 🤞🏻

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/How-do-I-use-nested-listing/qaq-p/1761690

Kianna September 7, 2022

Hey @Matt Reiner _K15t_ ! 

I'm not sure if point 4 from my answer above will also answer your question from the linked thread

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events