Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to display file as link in new editor

Deleted user June 21, 2019

Hello All!

I've recently been using the new editing experience and I love it, but I can't find a way to display an attached file (jpg, png etc.) as link which is easily done in the old editor.

I'd love to keep using the new editor, but the 'display file as link' feature is integral to the way I use Confluence.

Is there a way of doing this in the new editor or is it not possible?

I'd be super grateful for any insight or answers.

Thanks so much in advance,

Sam

15 answers

10 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 24, 2019

Hello Sam,

Welcome to Atlassian Community. It's nice to meet you.

I recently raised a feature request about this:

In the meantime, you'll need to use the Attachments macro in order to obtain the URL of the attachment. Then you can link text to that by pasting the link into the Link Macro.

Please vote on the feature request above to show that you'd like to see this feature return to Confluence. You will automatically be added to the list of watchers so you can receive updates of any progress.

Regards,

Shannon

barry bowen December 11, 2019

Its bad to remove a feature

Like # people like this
Christian Wilmanns December 18, 2019

Wow, you're stealing my time by removing such an feature. Why are your product guys doing something like this? I can't believe that I'm one of a few who is using this feature, as all my co-workers use it. A real bummer!

Like # people like this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 18, 2019

Hello there, Barry, and Christian. Thank you for all of this feedback.

As of recently, this feature is now listed on our roadmap page below:

We are still currently gathering interest on this, but I wanted to share that page with you as there are likely other features you're missing and you'd like to know the status of.

I would also encourage you to schedule some 1:1 time with our Confluence Product Manager in their calendar. It can help us to get more feedback such as yours for how we can best improve the new editor to meet your requirements.

Take care, and have a pleasant rest of your week.

Regards,

Shannon

Erik Kramer January 22, 2020

Yet another feature that I have found that does not exist in the new editor. Revealed only after using the new editor  for some time and am committed to it.

Yet another reason for Atlassian to be embarrassed. 

Like # people like this
Steve March 11, 2020

It's not really an 'improvement' to simply provide the same functionality as the previous version.

This disrupts the entire structure of the wiki that I've been building for my team for the past year. Atlassian has created a load of work for me and, I expect, many others.

Like # people like this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
March 12, 2020

Hello all,

This feature is now in our short-term roadmap and we've begun the early stages of implementing this on the new editor.

Per CONFCLOUD-65302:

Hi all, Confluence editor PM here. We are in the early stages of exploring how to show an attachment thumbnail as a link. Bringing this functionality to the new editor is on our short-term roadmap. We’ll provide updates on this ticket as we progress the work.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Thank you again for your patience while we get the new editor up-to-par with the features of the legacy editor.

As before, if you require the legacy editor and aren't able to use it on your Cloud site, please contact the Confluence Cloud Support Team and we can help you to access the legacy editor.

Regards,

Shannon

Like # people like this
Samuil Ivanov April 8, 2020

I have the same problem with the lack of functionalities in the new edit preview form mentioned above. Please for update about the progress. 

Our organisation recently expanded Confluence account and now we are getting confused with these malfunctions. Unfortunately I am the admin of the site and I have to calm others. 

Whatever "improvement" you make keep the option to revert it back to the old ones.  

Like eva_reblin likes this
Matt Bryant May 17, 2020

I relied heavily on this feature. Please fix asap.

Like # people like this
Dmacdonald August 31, 2020

So, it's Sept 2020. Over a year has passed.

Is this basic piece of functionality that should never have been removed in the first place ever going to come back?

Like # people like this
Matt Bryant August 31, 2020

Agile ...

image-asset.jpeg

6 votes
Deleted user June 28, 2021

Didn't see how to do this after 2 years, so I'll describe the workaround I use with the new editor. Warning, it's quite hideous.

1) attach image to page using the Files & Images icon. I add it to end end of page to keep it from messing up formatting. If there are multiple images go ahead and attach all of them.

2) Add the attachment macro, that's in + -> Attachments. I put this after the images.

3) Go to page preview, ... -> Preview.

4) In the attachment macro area there will be a list of all files for the page. right click on the image you want to use and select Copy Link. If you have multiple images you'll have to copy and paste links into some text editor.

5) Go back to editing mode by clicking Edit button.

6) Go to the place where you want the link and select the Link icon

7) Paste the link from step #4 into the Paste link box. Add some text (I usually use filename) to the Text to Display box.

8) Remove the newly added images and Attachments macro.

9) Publish

Ughhh...this used to be one click.

Jody Winter June 29, 2021

Thank you so much Gordon! This works perfectly. Atlassian still should reinstate the feature though.

Bruce Adams _TDD_ December 13, 2022

Thank you deleted user. I wonder if you deleted yourself in frustration over this and other pain points?

4 votes
Samuel Sayag May 24, 2020

I still cannot use this feature with the new editor...
How can we do it?

Thanks

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
June 2, 2020

Hi Samuel,

Welcome to Atlassian Community, and thank you for following up. This feature is not yet available, but is currently in progress. You can follow the process below:

Be sure to watch the case, and you'll receive emails with any status updates.

Take care,

Shannon

Bernhard Lauss November 27, 2020

THis is really a shame that it is still not available easily !!!!

Sam Murray November 30, 2020

+1 for this functionality. So disappointing that it isn't available! 

Hugo Habodasz December 3, 2020

+1, year and a half and still not available. 

gstanley January 8, 2021

Yes, this is a real backwards step. Pages are full of large images which are hard to delete or move. Painful.

Mark Binkley January 20, 2021

+1 for this functionality. So disappointing that it isn't available! 

Steven Haering February 4, 2021

+1, I can't believe this was removed.  I've got tables that need attachments, and by default now any attachment makes the row gigantic.  Whose idea was this!?

4 votes
Alex Nikolaev May 21, 2020

I find this quite remarkable.

I fully understand that the product needs to change and adapt, yet seeing yet another feature that is generally used in busier and more complex set up not implemented right away when the new editor was rolled out makes one wonder as to who the target audience really is.

Belle April 14, 2021

This reminds me of when they removed Anchor Links to "streamline" the authoring process, when it all did was "streamline" a bunch of people's frustration with the product... 

2 votes
Jody Winter June 22, 2021

I Googled to find help on this matter and found this thread. Atlassian, please fix this. Thumbnails should be an option, not the default. We currently have a mix of pages in the old and new editor formats because some pages (like where we list all of our dozens of forms and templates) just look awful with thumbnails.

2 votes
hyeonseok-choi January 26, 2021

0 votes
Paul Madison
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2024

Still can't do this in 2023.

Adam Dennis March 5, 2024

Or in 2024!

Paul Madison
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2024

I wish I knew what year it was!

0 votes
bas kin May 10, 2023

The feature request (https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-65302) that should solve this problem recently became active again!! Very happy to see this and hope it get's implemented soon.

The original poster is now a Deleted User. I hope he/she found a wiki-tool serving his/her needs...

0 votes
Keith Sottung January 7, 2023

As an admin governing a Confluence site of 1100 I want to add my voice in support of the ability to be able to add an image to page from the page's attachments.  Should also be able to add an image to page from another page's attachments list. It is a real drag to have to download an attached image, open it in a editor, re-copy it to the clip board only to paste it back to the page so it is viewable again.  Yes, I aware an image can by copied and pasted to move it to another location on the page.  I'm addressing a use case where the attachment is on the page or other but needs to be displayed.  Come on Atlassian. You are better than this! :-)  I still like you though. :-) 

0 votes
Simone Gasser January 3, 2022

It's January 2022... and I was just very surprised to find that this has still not been fixed after 2.5 years! How hard can it be?
Is there a way to go back to the old editor, so I don't have to spend hours (and therefore money) of my work time with a workaround?

0 votes
Marco November 23, 2021

Still not implemented, this is so frustrating!! Would you finally be able to implement this feature, how many people need to complain about this until you react??

0 votes
Adam Dennis September 17, 2021

C'mon Atlassian - it's been nearly two years - please reinstate what most consider as base functionality.

0 votes
Deleted user September 2, 2021

Unbelievable that such a basic and necessary feature that was removed in the interest of "improvement" *chokes* is still not reinstated after two years. Horrific UX. 

I assume that the head of product has been fired. If not, they should be.

0 votes
Torquil Harkness May 14, 2021

I work in Product and if i had done to our product, what the Atlassian team have done to theirs, i would get fired. I am saddened that every time i am looking for a feature that i have used in the past, which seems like a basic common feature, like formatting something or moving a row in a table etc, it has been removed. I mean we are in 2021 and you are implementing new designs that take away basic functionality that users expect to be there since the early '90s, but your only response is.. "Oh well it is on the roadmap but we are just 'gathering interest'", which basically means that we are not touching it unless a big account says it is a blocker. A disgrace. This thread will be commented on for the next 5 years and no action will be taken... this is what I come to 'expect' from this product. :-(  

0 votes
Rob Bunten April 21, 2021

Yesterday I completed a survey Atlassian sent me. My main point is illustrated by this and several other bits of useful functionality that are still not working over a year after the "New, Improved" editor blighted existing users' lives. Atlassian *used to* be better than this.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events