How to disable watches for a specific user?

In our instance, we have a user account associated with someone no longer associated with the company. Before they left, they did not turn off their watches... as a result, the mail queue gets filled up with errors due to the email address no longer being valid.

Any suggestions on how to avoid getting any errors? Change the email address associated w/the user to /dev/null? :)

Regards,

Dave

6 answers

1 accepted

Hi Dave,

If you deactivate the user by removing them from confluence-users that should stop the emails. If that doesn't work you can remove the notifications directly from the database with:

DELETEFROMNOTIFICATIONS WHEREusername = '<user's name>';

Information taken from http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFKB/Removing+Watches+for+a+Deleted+User

Hope that helps,

Andrew.

Not the easiest way but you can go to each issue the person is watching and remove them. Here's how:

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Watching+and+Voting+on+an+Issue

Read through the section and you'll see directions on how to remove people from watch lists.

There's probably a bulk way to do it as well from that user's account. . .

That works for Jira... in my case (which I forgot to specify) is for Confluence.

Under admin, open the user, delete all their project roles, and remove them from any groups, including confluence-users*. They can recieve notifications unless they have rights.

* I have a group called confluence-defunct-users that I put old users in, primarily to mark them as old accounts, so I actually add them to this and remove them from anything else.

0 vote
David Simpson Community Champion Dec 14, 2011
Install the "Confluence SU" plugin. Search for the user in Confluence Admin | Manage Users, then switch user to become that user. Next, turn off all the watches in the usual manner.

Removing groups is probably the quickest way, but if you wanted to make sure, couldn't you reset the password, and then log in and manage the account that way?

Barbara

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Jul 10, 2018 in Confluence

We want to see the templates you've created in Confluence!

Hi Community, Jessica here from the Confluence Product Marketing team!  July’s community challenge is all about sharing pictures  — and as an extension of our first post on what ...

833 views 23 12
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you