Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to delete tags in Confluence free?

R_T_ January 18, 2023

Hello,

how I delete a tag in the free version of Confluence?

I can not find any page to manage them

Kind regards

Rüdiger

3 answers

0 votes
R_T_ January 18, 2023

Please close this topic. There is no solution for my need.

...but thanks to @Dave Mathijs and @Ashish Bijlwan 

0 votes
Ashish Bijlwan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2023

Hi @R_T_ 

If by Tag you mean is Labels then you can delete it easily from the bottom of the confluence page as shown in below screenshot:

image.png

Just scroll down the Confluence Page that has the Labels from which you want to delete the tag and click on the Cross(x) as highlighted in screenshot. 

Tag will be deleted from the Confluence Page.

Thank you,
Ashish

R_T_ January 18, 2023

Hello Ashish,
thank you for your support.

I don't mean that.

I initially created a "servers" label, which I now find awkwardly worded. That's why I want to use the label "server" in the future.

At the bottom of the page I removed the "servers" label and added the "server" label. I have done this for all affected sites.

If I now want to label a corresponding page, "servers" is still offered to me. I want to delete the "servers" label from the entire system so that no one else can accidentally use it.

Kind regards

Rüdiger

0 votes
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2023

Hi @R_T_ welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Just remove the tag from every page it's mentioned on.

R_T_ January 18, 2023

Hello Dave. Thank you for fast responding.

That is exactly what I did. Confluence tells me that there are no more page with this tag but it is still in the overview of all tags and I have been able to choose is when I tag a page.

So there seems no explicit delete button I guess from your answerer. Also I find it very uncomfortable to delete a tag from hundreds of pages :) ...or is this only in the free version?

2023-01-18 11_14_43-Inhalte mit Stichwort - HME IT - Confluence – Mozilla Firefox.png

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2023

When you try to add a label, 'servers' may still pop-up as suggestion, but that doesn't mean that there are pages with this label.

If you search for label 'servers' and there are no results, then you're safe.

If the search results displays dozens, or even hundreds of pages, then indeed, you need to remove those labels from each page individually. This is not related to the plan you have.

Third-party app ScriptRunner for Confluence has a built-in script to bulk add or remove labels on one or more pages

R_T_ January 18, 2023

Thank you for your reply again.

That's ok for me, but you also have to think of employees who are not quite as knowledgeable or who are not careful when labeling new pages.
As long as there's a label to choose from, there will be plenty of people who accidentally choose it.

I also don't understand why there is no management of labels. This is an absolutely necessary basic feature that everyone will probably use.
What do I do if I find out after 100 pages that I have one (or worst case, lots of) typos in my labels.

It would be enough that if there were no more labels with "servers", this label would disappear. In my view, this is simply a design flaw.

Thank you very much for your help, but I have to say very clearly that Confluence is missing the most basic features in many places (see table functions). Some functions seem 10 years old.

P.S.: Scriptrunner is a paid software when we start our paid Confluence version. Why should I pay when Confluence is not able to make a good product?

Nevermind, just a question to myself ;=)

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 18, 2023

Even if you perform a clean-up, the list of "incorrect" labels may clutter the correct ones over time again.

As an alternative, you can opt for a custom field select list multiple options.

But it can only be managed by a Jira admin, users are not able to add new values themselves. That's the other side of the coin.

Even if you would have bulk label operations out-of-the-box, there will always be people who'll create incorrect labels if they're able to.

Like R_T_ likes this
R_T_ January 18, 2023

1.) I don't think so. There is of course a small change, but since we intend to work according to the review principle, something like this would be noticeable
2.) Precisely because problems arise over time, there must be such an integrated function :)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events