How to delete a corrupt page which will not render and has not even generated a pageid?

Paras December 14, 2021

I tried creating a page with HTML macro. Clicked "Save" and in errored out. I can see the page name on the left panel, but since it does not render I am unable to delete it.

When I hover the mouse on the page name on the left panel, I see the URL with the page name but there is no pageid. How do I go about deleting this page?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 15, 2021

As you have guessed, you're going to need the page ID in order to kill it.

You didn't flag this with Cloud or Server, but on both, you could try looking through your browser history for the url of the create/edit/landing page.

On server, you could also try going to the url by name (which would then try to go to the one with the page ID, so you'd at least get that, or if you're lucky, it would actually go into edit mode, so you could remove the breaking content)

http://<baseurl>/pages/editpage.action?spaceKey=<spaceKey>&title=pageName
Paras December 15, 2021

Thanks Nic. I was able to delete the page based on the URL you provided.

Elaine Kendall September 11, 2023

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- I am having an issue similar to Paras. We have a page that seems to have no ID and a broken URL. It always throws a 404. 

HTTP Status 400 – Bad Request

Type Status Report

Description The server cannot or will not process the request due to something that is perceived to be a client error (e.g., malformed request syntax, invalid request message framing, or deceptive request routing).

Apache Tomcat/9.0.45

When I use your URL, I get the redirect page:

"The page you were trying to reach could not be found: it may have been renamed or moved to another space, or the name you requested may be incomplete."

The link provided for redirect is the link that is giving the 404. 

Any suggestions?? Thank you, Elaine

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 13, 2023

I'm afraid it's still the same answer - you'll need to work out the page ID, then hit the deletion URL if you want rid of it.  It's probably better to get the editpage URL with the ID though, so you can remove the breaking text from the content.

0 votes
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 15, 2021

Hi @Paras 

Please check you have either delete page permission in space or space admin permission.

You need delete permission in the space to delete the page.

Thanks,
Pramodh

Paras December 15, 2021

Thanks Pramodh. I do have the delete privs in the space.
I was able to use the URL that Nic provided above to delete the corrupt pages.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events