How to define a figure size in pixels in the new version of Confluence

Marcel van der Vliet May 28, 2019

In the previous version of Confluence it was possible, when you inserted a figure, to define the width in pixels by typing a number, or put it in the Original size.

Now if you insert a picture, first Confluence can already decide to resize it for you (was not a problem in the previous version, because you could easily go back to Original). Now you have to resize with dragging the mouse.

This results in figures that are blurry due to sizing.

Is there a way to prevent this? Is there a way to define the pixels?

3 answers

0 votes
Jennifer Choban
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 26, 2021

So if I have a rectangular image (long, but not tall) is there anyway to not have Confluence add a bunch of white space above and below (making the image square)?

0 votes
Marcel van der Vliet January 22, 2020

Yes, I guess it was a failed attempt of sarcasm (which was excepted as an 'answer accepted'). Of course you want to be able to override this and show images the way you grabbed them in pixels, without making them blurry.

The same is happening with fonts now, at the moment when I make my browser window more wide, the fonts start to scale. Not something I like to see. This scaling is also inconsistently implemented. The TOC and the Children macros behave differently making a page really ugly.

peskyneil January 22, 2020

Ahh got you, re-reading it wasn't a failed attempt at sarcasm, just a failed read by me :)

I haven't come across the font issue you mention, but will keep an eye out for it. Not sure how Atlasssian can't see that there is a need for this in a product that is designed for publishing a wide variety of information to and that in some cases control is required.

Fingers crossed someone at Atlasssian has an 'aha' moment and get's it sorted.

Like Marcel van der Vliet likes this
0 votes
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 29, 2019

Hello there!

Hey Marcel currently in the new editor, the Fabric Editor, this is the new default way of image resizing. Excerpt from our documentation:

Images now resize to a grid, which lets you set an image size in relation to your page. Then, if you view the page on a different-sized screen, the image will also resize to maintain the same proportions. You can change an image’s size by dragging the handles at its sides.

Here is the full page:

We also have some articles from our Product Manager about this new editing experience and the objectives behind it. Here are two of them, if you want to read them Marcel:

Let us know your thoughts on that Marcel!

Marcel van der Vliet May 30, 2019

I understand that you want to show pictures well across different devices. Unfortunately that's not the way I use Confluence. Looking through the discussions, it is clear to me that many people are unhappy with the new editor. And for most reasons mentioned, I completely agree.

It seems to me that I have to choose. Swallow this, or start looking for something else. It's really sad since I haven't been this positive about a product for a long time (even bought shares Atlassian), and then it is 'improved'...

Like # people like this
Marcel van der Vliet May 30, 2019

The answer is: This functionality is lost with the new editor. The new editor supports multiple devices, so it tries to be smart, resulting in dynamically sized pictures. Sizing of screen-grabs makes them blurry, but that is a price to pay for multi device support.

But that is a lousy answer. But as Atlassian users, you just have to swallow it.

Like # people like this
peskyneil January 21, 2020

Hmm, I understand the desire for the multi device support and the approach taken. However there are cases where you simply want the image at the size you've taken it. In my example I have a couple of small images (basically an icon) that I'm trying to document what it means. It looks fine in the designer and is the size that I upload it. However if I publish the page and then view it, these small images are stretched and the whole thing goes pear shaped from a look and feel perspective.

I think you should be able to override the normal approach on an image by image basis as there are definite use cases where you want the image you've uploaded to be rendered at the size you've uploaded it regardless of the device being used.

Like # people like this
Jon R February 17, 2020

Completely agree, I want control  of the images and not being rendered in a blurry version.  

Like # people like this
Marian Vidra July 24, 2020

Totally agree with Marcel. To define the width of the image with pixels instead of dragging the mouse was MUCH MUCH better. I guess Atlassian screwed up with this "feature" big time and shouldn't try to "fix" everything.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events