It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to default to "view" (and not download) for file attachments on a page in Confluence? Edited

Confluence on cloud. About attachments in a page. Attached file is a MS Word doc that is displayed on the page using "attachment" macro. When one clicks on the file name link on the page, tthe file is downloaded. Expected intuitive default behaviour should be that the file is opened for viewing. Can we make that happen? 

(Note: One can click on the arrow by side and choose view option. Edited the description for clarity and context.)

6 answers

1 vote

If you are on Confluence Server or Data Center you could create a user macro that you can drop onto your page that will change the file links in the attachments macro to preview the document instead of downloading it. Here is the user macro.

Macro Name:
preview_attachments

Macro Title:
Preview Attachments

Description:
This will change the links in the attachments macro to preview the attachment instead of downloading it.

Macro Body Processing:
No macro body

Template:

## Developed by: Davin Studer
## Date created: 11/29/2018
## @noparams

<script type="text/javascript">
//<![CDATA[
    AJS.toInit(function(){
        AJS.$('.plugin_attachments_container a.filename').click(function(e){
            // This will intercept clicks on the file links and programmatically click the preview button instead.
            e.preventDefault();

var attachmentId = AJS.$(this).closest('tr.attachment-row').attr('data-attachment-id');

AJS.$('.attachment-summary-' + attachmentId + ' .attachment-buttons a.aui-button.previewAttachmentLink').click();
        });
    });
//]]>
</script>

Very nice, handy and simple!

Thx

0 votes
Davin Studer Community Leader Jun 02, 2017

Are you referring to the attachments macro or the attachments section on the page?

I attached a file and then used attachment macro to show that file on the page. I can now get to the file using the attachment icon at the top or by clicking on the file name in the page. When I click on the file name, it gets downloaded. I wish to change the behavior to "view" when I click the file. Following is the screen shot of the page. ConfluenceAttachment.png

Davin Studer Community Leader Jun 02, 2017

Ah, if you were using the server version I could give you an idea to try, but with the cloud version what I would have suggested is not possible.

Hi David, I'm using confluence server and am interested in your idea as I would prefer to click and preview the file in a file-list macro (rather than download straight away).

Hi Davin, I am also using server and would love to hear your idea for this. 

Hello @Davin Studer,

I am running server and would also like to hear your recommendation.

Thanks

Joseph 

0 votes
Ann Worley Atlassian Team Jun 02, 2017

Please let me know what version you are using. On my Confluence 6.2.x instance a link to a Word doc on a page will preview the document, but if you go to the attachments list for the page, clicking on the title there will download the attachment.

I am using Confluence on the cloud. 

Confluence 1000.1457.1

I'm interested in the same thing. Links to attached files are displayed at various places, where the View option is not available at all.

For example on the "Labelled content" page, in Search results, etc.

(We are moving all our previous requirements into Confluence now, as attachments. Conversion one by one was really painful, I did it for a dozen, then decided against it.)

0 votes

Hi Davin Studer,

We would like to see Doc attachments should be display/view for the regular users. Let us know us you suggestions.

0 votes

Hi Davin,

I've used the macro preview_attachments it works within the same page where the files are in.

However we like to use one page with a filelist as a central page to store documents including labels.  Other pages are using as much as possible dynamic macro's e.g. content per label. Using the macro preview_attachments before a macro content by label still download the file instead of give a preview.

Did I do something wrong or does the preview_attachment not work in combination with other macro's

I designed that user macro specifically to work with the attachments macro. It would have to be adapted to work with other macros.

Hi Davin,

Quote Davin: "I would have to be adapted to work with other macros." 

I don't know if I understand you well. Does this mean you make it work with other macros? If not we have to make other decisions the way we use Confluence.

Best regards

Davin Studer Community Leader Dec 14, 2018

As the user macro is currently written it only works with the attachments macro. That was what the original poster of the question was asking for.

Suggest an answer

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Confluence

Confluence CVEs and common questions

Two vulnerabilities have been published for Confluence Server and Data Center recently: March 20, 2019 CVE-2019-3395 / CVE-2019-3396 April 17, 2019 CVE-2019-3398 The goal of this article is...

271 views 0 12
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you