How to default to "view" (and not download) for file attachments on a page in Confluence? Edited

Confluence on cloud. About attachments in a page. Attached file is a MS Word doc that is displayed on the page using "attachment" macro. When one clicks on the file name link on the page, tthe file is downloaded. Expected intuitive default behaviour should be that the file is opened for viewing. Can we make that happen? 

(Note: One can click on the arrow by side and choose view option. Edited the description for clarity and context.)

2 answers

This widget could not be displayed.
Davin Studer Community Champion Jun 02, 2017

Are you referring to the attachments macro or the attachments section on the page?

I attached a file and then used attachment macro to show that file on the page. I can now get to the file using the attachment icon at the top or by clicking on the file name in the page. When I click on the file name, it gets downloaded. I wish to change the behavior to "view" when I click the file. Following is the screen shot of the page. ConfluenceAttachment.png

Davin Studer Community Champion Jun 02, 2017

Ah, if you were using the server version I could give you an idea to try, but with the cloud version what I would have suggested is not possible.

Hi David, I'm using confluence server and am interested in your idea as I would prefer to click and preview the file in a file-list macro (rather than download straight away).

Hi Davin, I am also using server and would love to hear your idea for this. 

Hello @Davin Studer,

I am running server and would also like to hear your recommendation.

Thanks

Joseph 

This widget could not be displayed.
Ann Worley Atlassian Team Jun 02, 2017

Please let me know what version you are using. On my Confluence 6.2.x instance a link to a Word doc on a page will preview the document, but if you go to the attachments list for the page, clicking on the title there will download the attachment.

I am using Confluence on the cloud. 

Confluence 1000.1457.1

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 17, 2018 in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

596 views 7 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you