Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to create two pages with the same name in different locations in same space?

Hi,

I need to create two pages with the same name in two different locations in the same space.

The problem I have come across is that I can not create a page with the same name in one space.

When I attempt that, I get

"A page already exists with the title 'foo' in this space. Please use a different title for this page."

This is how we want to structure the space: 

Product 1

• Intro
  • Pricelist
  • How to use
  • License info
  • Support
  • Document templates

Product 2

• Intro
  • Pricelist
  • How to use
  • License info
  • Support
  • Document templates

I found a lot of people with this problem, a company equal to Atlassian should not have a dumb vision for structure of directory tree.

Any ideas on how i can set this up in one space?

Note - We are using Confluence 6.10.1

2 answers

1 vote

Hi @CesarCEARA - of course @Nic Brough _Adaptavist_ is right. 

However it is possible using an addon - have a look on Scroll Versions, one of the features is duplicating page names. 

But I have to say - for better usage I would recommend to find another solution. Why not using product name at the beginning of the page title, or put most of the informations on one page. Using ToC macro it's easy to navigate. 

Bill Bailey Community Leader Aug 27, 2018

Yes, this is how I solved this issue, prepending a product number/name in front of the child pages.

Then when exporting to PDF (using Scroll), I just override the page title to the more generic version.

Did you use Scroll PDF? How did you make it?

Bill Bailey Community Leader Aug 27, 2018

Yes, exactly. But version 3.x. Can't move to the new 4.x version (all power user features stripped).

Thanks a lot for the help @Fabienne Gerhard, I'll try using addon. ;-)

0 votes

You can't.  Page names must be unique within a space.

Atlassian made this decision a long time ago and have no intention of changing it, as the majority of their users prefer or even need unique page names.

Dear all,

@CesarCEARA case is very common so I find it strange that this option is not supported by confluence. 

I am currently migrating from Nuclino to Confluence (still in trial mode) and I ran into this issue. 

Now I need to re-evaluate my decision to move to Confluence.

Thanks.

Like evanbartlett likes this

Would like to see the data backing up the "majority of their users prefer or even need unique page name". I have design system website content on Confluence, and I have 15 "Overview" pages and have to use stupid emojis to have different names.

#1 - Every page in your Confluence has a unique 10 digit number, meaning you can have 10 billion pages in each space.

#2 - Looking at the Url of each of my overview pages with emojis, they all end in /Overview, so the actual page name is in a database somewhere.

This vibes of tech debt they don't want to spend time on.

Ok, so to answer the points first

#1 - those are not friendly names, like "Overview" is

#2 - yes, with emoji-that-doesn't-help-Overview as a name

It's not "tech debt", it's "we designed it this way".  Most wikis don't have duplicate page names, in fact Confluence is weaker on this than most because it allows you to use the same name for pages in many spaces.  (Compare with the world's most used wiki - Mediawiki.   There's only one page in Wikipedia called Overview, whereas Confluence will let you do ABC:Overview, DEF:Overview and so-on)

Bill Bailey Community Leader Jul 15, 2021

To pile on, if you want pretty URLs, then you have to have unique names. If were OK with all URLs being "...pageID=122334" Then you could do what you want. It just isn;t practicle -- you need unique URLs, and you want to be able to change the page hierachy without breaking the URL (why you can't have "/toppage/childpage/overview" 

And then when it comes to search, if you have 25 pages with the title of "Overview", it makes it hard to find the results you want.

Like Nic Brough _Adaptavist_ likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Confluence

🏑 Atlympic Event: Confluence

Hello Community!  Quick disclaimer: We are running a contest on Community (The Atlympics!) from July 23rd - August 8th of 2021. If you are interested in participating in this contest (prizes! ...

291 views 12 9
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you