How to create two pages with the same name in different locations in same space?

John Hopson May 19, 2014

I need to create two pages with the same name in two different locations in the same space. For example, I want to create 'johnsspace/leaf1/foo' and 'johnsspace/leaf2/foo'. When I attempt that, I get

"A page already exists with the title 'foo' in this space. Please use a different title for this page."

That seems like an odd limitation. Guessing I'm just doing something wrong. Any advice?

Note - We are using Confluence 4.1

5 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
discountrobot
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2014

If it's really important to have identical pages you could "cheat" and add a invisible unicode char at the end of the title, which will make the page unique - without the users seeing.

John Hopson May 20, 2014

Ahh, that's the ticket! In the absence of good architecture, give me a good 'cheat' any day.

Thanks.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Andreas Gronert January 24, 2018

0 votes
Jonathan Simonoff
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 19, 2014

Just to add a little more info (Jobin is right) a space is really a name space. The page hierarchy is not like a directory hierarchy -- thus the parent pages "leaf1" and "leaf2" in your example have no meaning in the sense you think. The closest you could come is to incorporate the branches into the page names, so name one "leaf1-foo" and name the second "leaf2-foo".

John Hopson May 19, 2014

Thanks for the clarification.

Is there a way to create an actual hierarchy, or use multiple spaces? This smells like something that has an easy answer, using some method I don't yet know about.

Jonathan Simonoff
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 19, 2014
John Hopson May 19, 2014

Thanks. I'll send that to our administrator.

Is there any way to forward this issue to the design team for review? It's hard to imagine they designed it this way intentionally.

Like # people like this
Andreas Gronert January 24, 2018

Hello
With above link
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/200B/index.htm

is written to use "Unicode Character 'ZERO WIDTH SPACE' (U+200B)"

Further there is another link
http://www.fileformat.info/tip/microsoft/enter_unicode.htm

that describes how to enter Unicode. But neither of the described methods are working here.

Could you please describe how you did enter this or any other invisible Unicode character?
Kind regards
Andreas Gronert

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2018

Atlassian blocked it to prevent people doing horrible things to their users, like having pages with the same name.

Like Andrew likes this
0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 19, 2014

Unfortunately, it is a limitation. Pages has to be unique within a space.

John Hopson May 19, 2014

Thanks for the answer.

Will that be fixed at some point? That's a pretty strange limitation.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Mick Davidson
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 19, 2014

Yes, to clarify: you can't have two pages with the same name in the same space.

Николай Юсев October 27, 2016

But then refresh the page with the same name?

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events