How to create synchronized video and text tutorial like oriole

Nitin Pasumarthy December 6, 2018

https://www.safaribooksonline.com/oriole/?utm_source=oreilly&utm_medium=newsite&utm_campaign=oriole-data-structures is a nice way to teach a concept where the video is synchronized with text. Have a look at those links or Google more about this as it can be a little difficult to describe how they work in text here.

Is there a way to create a wiki with text and video which are in sync? On scrolling the text, the video seeks to that time and vice-versa.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 6, 2018

Hey Nitin,

That's a very cool way to look at content!

While I'm not coming up with any ideas to emulate that exact feature, a combination of other things comes to mind. Youtube allows you to add captions to videos (or even have Youtube try to automatically caption them). These videos can be unlisted so only people with the URL can view it.

Youtube videos can be embedded on Confluence pages or used with the Learning Management System plugins.

Depending on how you create the text for the video, you could also use timecoded links to jump to particular parts of the video. I found some examples of javascript that will let you skip to timecodes in an embedded Youtube video. These could be injected as hyperlinks on the text you want to be active.

It'll take some work, but I think you might be able to create an approximation of the example you gave.

Cheers,
Daniel

Nitin Pasumarthy December 9, 2018

Thanks Daniel. Yeah i was thinking on similar lines. However automating these steps with a confluence plugin could be really helpful

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events