Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create link to non-existing page under parent page?

Henrik Widell April 21, 2021

Say I have a space with a top level page, "Home".

I am on a sub-page, "A" under "Home" and wish to create a link to a non-existing page "B". I can do this using the normal insert link function, under "Advanced" etc., but the link then points to "B" as a sub-page of "A". What I want to do is for the link to point to "B" as a sub-page of "Home", i.e. on the same hierarchy level as "A".

Any ideas how to do this?

I have tried specifying the link as Home/B or ../B, but that still ends up with the link pointing to a sub-page under "A" - just with the title "Home/B" or "../B" instead...

/Henrik

1 answer

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2021

Hi @Henrik Widell,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Follow these steps to create an undefined placeholder page link:

1. Type [Placeholder Page Name]()
    This follows the syntax as the keyboard shortcut for adding defined links [Link] (http://a.com).
  2. Press Enter or Return to create the placeholder.
  3. Select Close to keep the page as a DRAFT or select Publish
Henrik Widell April 22, 2021

Hi Mikael,

Thanks for the suggestion.

However, what you describe above creates a link, but does not do, what I asked about - the link created still points to a (non-exisiting) subpage of page "A", i.e. one level lower in the overall hierarchy than I want it to.

What I want to do is to ensure the non-extisting page (when created) also ends up in the correct place in the space page hierarchy. With the above method I end up where I was - the new page is created as a subpage of the one containing the link.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2021

Unfortunately you cannot define where the destination will be for the placeholder, it is using the sam behavior as when you create a new page, it will end up as a child of the page that are one when you click create.

Henrik Widell April 26, 2021

So that means, when someone creates the page, it will have to be manually relocated.

Workable, but far from ideal. Takes away some of the usefulness of creating links to non-existing pages.

Allan Maxwell
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 17, 2022

You used to be able to type "[New sub page]" and a new page with the "New sub page" as the title would be created and your original text replaced with hyperlink text.  Now, I guess you have to add the "()" and then click on the link to create the page.

Benia Zouras March 23, 2023

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events