Confluence Server, creating Jira Server issue(s) through Confluence forms

thorsten1304 June 17, 2019

Hello,

I created a form for our onboarding procedure. Some fields are drop downs and some fields are plane input text fields. How I can create a jira ticket in a specified project out of that, where the subject will be set automatically by some field inputs?

Best regards 

Thorsten

3 answers

2 votes
Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 17, 2019

Hi @Alex Medved _ConfiForms_ , that sound quite good. I will try it later in our. Confluence. Hi I can add the values of the field to the description in the created ticket?

Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 17, 2019

It is a matter of mapping the ConfiForms fields with Jira issue fields - for example here, https://wiki.vertuna.com/display/CONFIFORMS/Creating+JIRA+issue+from+Confluence+with+ConfiForms?preview=/1212664/1212663/jira-form-def4.png

You can see that field "description" in Jira will be filled with the value of "details" field in ConfiForms

It works!!! Great! Thanks. Just one question. While using 

"description": "[entry.FirstName]\n[entry.LastName]\n[entry.StartingDate]\n[entry.Position]\n[entry.Notebook]",

the fields Position and Notebook are drop down fields in my form where the values are defined in the field with id and label. After creating the Jira tickets the id of the value and not the value itself will be inserted to the ticket. How I can insert the Label/value instead of the id?

And another question just fort improving the usability. Is it possible to get a confirmation dialog after successfully creation of there jira task or successfully sending?

Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 17, 2019

For dropdown fields you can access labels, by doing

[entry.Position.label]

See more details for available properties in each field type here https://wiki.vertuna.com/display/CONFIFORMS/Accessing+field+values+and+properties

As for the confirmation message see and set the corresponding parameter in the ConfiForms Registrations Control (FormView) macro

Screenshot 2019-06-17 at 20.16.10.png

Hi @Alex Medved _ConfiForms_ , Thank you for your help today. Now it works. The final form works better than expected and will help my HR team.

Best regards

Thorsten

Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 17, 2019

Glad to help and very nice to hear it works well for your needs

thorsten1304 June 18, 2019

Hi @Alex Medved _ConfiForms_ , we have an unexplainable problem. When I send the form it works. If another user sends it, he gets the following error with the same data.

imgo.jpgDo you know why that happens?

With best regards Thorsten

Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 18, 2019

What does it tell in the error? (I dont understand German!?) Does the user who attempts to submit the form has enough permissions in Jira to create issues of this type?

"The choosen issue type is wrong". Normally that user can create that issue type in Jira in the same project.

Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 18, 2019

Can you confirm the user can access the Jira project and create issues of the "Aufgabe" type?

In the Jira project the user itself has the access to create such a task.

Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 18, 2019

It must be an access and permissions issue. Could you please open the ticket with us and provide your form configuration and json reported in the error?

https://wiki.vertuna.com/display/VERTUNA/Support+Request+Form

Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 26, 2019

Just to confirm the outcome - issue type "Aufgabe" was incorrect and that has resulted in the error mentioned earlier

thorsten1304 June 26, 2019

Issuetype "Aufgabe" was coireect but I had to use the id because of a not correct naming of our fields. Now it is solved

Thank you!

Short question: How I could the new created task add to a existing epic?

Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 26, 2019

Quick search on community shows this

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Not-able-to-link-an-epic-to-issue-via-rest-api/qaq-p/806794

With ConfiForms you can call any API, as long as you have an application link established or web connections setup

OK. But how I can integrate that into my json. Your site explains only the version with calling the Rest API.

0 votes
thorsten1304 June 24, 2019

After some internal discussion rounds I found the solution. Thanks

MARK RYAN DAYANGHIRANG November 19, 2020

Care to share the solution?

Like # people like this
0 votes
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 17, 2019

Hi @thorsten1304 

In Confluence which is already linked to Jira using application links. Just highlighting the text will bring a pop up to create an issue in Jira. However that works for simple use cases. In your case, you might need to use ScriptRunner to create an issue in Jira using REST API or Application Links. There might be an app as well for doing this which I never used. Just wondering why create a form in Confluence, why not Jira directly?

Ravi

Hi @Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_ ,

thanks for your fast answer. I know your 1st solution. But that will put all values in the subject field. The other problem is, that it will put the complete list of a dropdown field in the output and not the choosen value only.

Your 2nd idea with creating a form in Jira directly. How to do this? We have no admin rights and the process of adjusting the workflow is really slow. Is there a ways to do this without admin rights?

Best regards Thorsten

Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 17, 2019

1. Read this for more details: https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/use-jira-applications-and-confluence-together-427623543.html

It is a bit limited when it comes to the fields but if the data is in a table, it can pick the fields and you can map it to your Jira issue fields.

2. You need to be an admin.

3. Also look at embedding Jira's issue collector on Confluence page: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/using-the-issue-collector-938847338.html

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events