Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to create forms and auto create issues in jira

I have gone through a lot of similar questions but not sure if i really understand . My company would not allow to add a plugin or create a user macro.

I am looking for simple steps if someone can point me to how to get started in creating a form where the business could give the minimal details for Intake of projects.

I have tried the template method but it only allows be to create the page but not the jira issue also the dynamic page title using the variables not sure how to achieve that.

version in 6..2.3 of confluence server

4 answers

1 accepted

Take a look at https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/using-the-issue-collector-938847338.html 

This is the only option you have knowing your boundaries and restrictions

Thank you, unfortunately I don't have confluence admin rights to enable this. I have raised a request let's see if I can create this and try.

The idea what I had was could I create a HTML form in confluence page and make a rest API call to JIRA to create the issues?

Are there any tutorials to follow for this?

Do you have an HTML macro enabled in your Confluence? Then it is just a matter of writing your HTML form and JS handling the form's submission

https://docs.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/api/REST/8.14.1/#api/2/issue-createIssue 

https://developer.atlassian.com/server/jira/platform/jira-rest-api-examples/ 

You will need to figure out the "authentication" between your Confluence and Jira, of course...

The easiest way (without extra development and installing external plugins) is to use issue collector (as mentioned earlier)

Like Priya N likes this

Since I had to create an epic I am unable to use the issuecollector due to the epicname.field

I created a form thouhh.still figuring out the JS call. I had created a confluence page to load jira details.in a table but that was GET method. 

I wonder if I could use the similar auth logic for submit button on form submission.

@Alex Medved _ConfiForms_  I am on confluence 6.4 . I would need to access jira using the application link and fetch jira details. 

I don't see the below rest service in the list of private APIs for Confluence

URL>/plugins/servlet/applinks/proxy?appId=<UUID>&path=<JIRA URL>/rest/api/2/search/jql=<YOUR_JQL>

I don't see any api documentation for these private services :-(

I dont know about this method... but what I can say is that your Confluence is very outdated - see https://confluence.atlassian.com/support/atlassian-support-end-of-life-policy-201851003.html 

The oldest they support is 6.13 at the time of writing this...

Even if there is a method like you say - it may be it was introduced a much later on or maybe not. I am just unfamiliar with this method of querying Jira from Confluence 

Alex

Yeah sorry I am using 6.13 version but what would be the right way of getting issue details from.confleunce using the rest API?

@Alex Medved _ConfiForms_  I had a question on the GET results using the JQL

I am trying the <Confluence URL>/plugins/servlet/applinks/proxy?appId=<UUID>&path=<JIRA URL>/rest/api/2/search/jql=<YOUR_JQL>

with all the JQL being URL encoded and all i get a 500 error.

For my post the URL i used was 

<Confluence-URL>/rest/jira-integration/1.0/issues?applicationId=<id>

Hard to tell, but your server logs should show the details... Not sure though if it is on Jira or still on Confluence side...

For confluence 6.4 is it different

@Alex Medved _ConfiForms_  I was able to retreive the data , the JIR URL should not be encoded and it worked.

Could you help me understand how is confiforms different from the Jira service desk?

I made a request to my company to add the plugin but they want me to use the service desk 

Hi

Good question. Simply answer - ConfiForms is not a competitor to JSD. It is not a ticketing service, but it could be used as a front-end for one and as an intake form to create Jira issues. Just a single use case that it covers

But it is not a ticketing system and should not be used as one - Jira is what you need to use (or JSD)

ConfiForms is really something else - see https://confiforms.com/#usecaces-and-scenarios 

Customers use it for content creation, project management within Confluence, employee on-boarding, feedback forms and surveys. Votings and things a like. 

ConfiForms enables more structured collaboration within Confluence and brings a bit more order into the "wiki".

Hope it explains

Alex

Thank you Alex , I was able to use the html macro and jira rest API to create a form and create issues.

I had used the Get api in the earlier version of confluence using the UUID and fetching the jira details through jql.

This seems to have been deprecated in 8.4 version. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Confluence

Confluence Mythbusters: Does Atlassian even use Confluence?

Hi, Confluence collaborators! As part of #Confluence-Collaboratory month, we’ve created a very special Mythsbusters segment, where we're dive into an interesting myth and uncover the truth behind i...

1,597 views 7 30
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you